The Accurate Reloading Forums
Reloader 7 for my 45-70

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/73010606

07 October 2002, 03:15
<Johnny Reb>
Reloader 7 for my 45-70
I finally went to town and got some Reloader 7 and some remington 9.5 mag. primers and am wanting to start working up a load.
When I tried it out, I had a box of PMC ammo with 405 grain soft point and they worked pretty good, so I sent off and got the dies and some Starline Brass and now heres my delimma.
The reload data that I found in a couple of places said to use (max) 40 grains and a COL of 2.70" and so, to check it out, I loaded a dummy, or should I say, A DUMMY LOADED A DUMMY and tried it in my tubular magazine and DUH!!, it was to long and wouldn't chamber and I had to tear down the action and get the shell out and re-seat it to 2.55" and it works fine, NOW, have any of you fellas tried reloader 7 with rem. 9.5 magnum primers and do you have any favorite moderate loads and/or cautions that might be of use. I also bought some Winchester large pistol primers and some Winchester small rifle primers to reload my 454 and FA 475 with, but am looking for help right now with the Re-7 and the magnum primers.
If anyone can shed any light on the subject I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Johnny Reb
07 October 2002, 05:47
Bill Leeper
I never used magnum primers with RL7 in the 45/70 but with standard primers loaded 41 with 405s and it worked well. This in a Marlin. Regards, Bill.
07 October 2002, 06:01
<Johnny Reb>
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I never used magnum primers with RL7 in the 45/70 but with standard primers loaded 41 with 405s and it worked well. This in a Marlin. Regards, Bill.

Thanks alot Bill for the info, I have heard that using a magnum primer is good for cold weather and also burns more of the powder with less residue in the bore, and I was curious if anyone has experienced using magnum primers and with what results. Anyway, I will load some up today and use some LR primers and maybe a couple of Mag. primers too, 1 with 41 grains of Re-7 and 1 with 45 grains and see if there is a difference in burning and/or accuracy, and if there is , I will let you know. Johnny Reb
08 October 2002, 04:23
DB Bill
With respect to RL7 you should be aware that it is now being produced overseas (Sweden?) and that some of the data in books may be for the "old" version. I always had good luck with CCI primers for consistency.
08 October 2002, 07:40
Bob338
In their reloading book, footnote #3, Alliant states emphatically that they DO NOT recommend magnum primers for their propellants unless they specifically require them. They only recommend them in very large capacity cases usually requiring over 80g of powder.

FWIW, accuracy with their propellants has always been best using standard primers even in magnum cases with less than 80g of powder.
08 October 2002, 09:08
Dave In LB
Seems to me some of the guys at the Marlin site use Re 7 with good results. The COL should only be 2.55 in most cases and If I am remembering correctly a magnum primer is not really necessary for this cartridge. I would post this question at Marlin talk and see what you net the guys there are very sharp on 45-70 loadings. Kind Regards.
08 October 2002, 11:03
<Roger 4>
In reguards to your 45-70 loading the Rl-7,
I use it and win mag primers as my favorite load
with 60grs of Rl-7 and Sierra 300gr. HP`s .
I use this load in my Marlin 1885CB,,my T/C encore
and my H&R/NEF 45-70,,,in the Marlin it is especialey accurate,,on the crono. out of the Marlin with it`s 26" barrel i get 2550-2580 fps.
its a hot round,,and very accurate.
AGAIN I SAY IT`S A HOT ROUND!,,safe in my guns no pressure problems that I have seen. If you want a good middle of the road load 50grs. will get you what you want with the magnum primers,,,most of all work up to the load and check for pressure problems always...hope this helps,,,,,,,,Roger 4
08 October 2002, 11:14
DB Bill
Roger 4.....curious as the velocity that loads shows in the other rifles you mentioned (and how long those barrels are).
08 October 2002, 16:43
<Roger 4>
DB Bill,,,the T/C barrel is from FoxRidge,,the T/C custom shop,,,it`s also 26" full bull(.995 at the muzzel),,the H&R/NEF Handi Rifle has a standard weight barrel and is 22" in length.
The T/C shoots very well,,but not as fast as the Marlin,,,hovering around 2500fps + or - 20fps
depending on its mood,,,,the Handi with that load
kicks like a bull,,and the 10 shots over a week that i could stand to shoot it,,averaged around
2300fps,,with a low of 2270,,,the single shots
are truly fun but you just can`t stand but so much of that punishment,,,the Marlin is much more controlable,,but still punishing,,,it`s just amazing what that load will do on a Whitetail,,
instant kill,,,with no remorse,,,,.If you will look in the 47th edition of the Lyman reloading manual,,this load is listed under the Ruger#1
loading info.,,,,the 60 grains is a slightly
reduced load from max,,,,,not for everyone but works very well for me,,hope this answers your question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Roger 4 [Big Grin]
08 October 2002, 17:17
m700
Sixty grains? Wow! My Sierra manual lists a MAXIMUM load of 54.2 grains of Re-7 for 2100 fps for their 300 grain bullet. This was from a 22" Marlin, and is also their top Re-7 load for the very strong Ruger Number One. I won't be going above that listed powder charge! Regards, Guy
09 October 2002, 00:58
arkypete
Personally using jacketed bullets in the 45-70 is an exercise in extravigance. There is nothing a jacketed bullet can do that a cast bullet can't do as well if not better.
I use a 350 grain Saeco cast bullet with 50 grains of Rl-7 and Win LR primer. It's accurate and powerful.
Jim