New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think it's disturbing that there seems to be no primers available. "Out of Stock" - everwhere.

Fortunately, I have a supply, accumulated several years ago, but the thing is that I wouldn't be able to handload without them.

All the other components are obtainable, except primers.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one solution to your problem.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/...-primers-ghost-ammo/

Posts: 19368 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a flintlock.

Posts: 705 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
I think it's disturbing that there seems to be no primers available. "Out of Stock" - everwhere.

Fortunately, I have a supply, accumulated several years ago, but the thing is that I wouldn't be able to handload without them.

All the other components are obtainable, except primers.

There are primers around, it just depends how much you want to spend.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/...&Sort=13&PageSize=96

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Michigan this weekend, almost any rifle primers were $110.00 M

Some S & B were 149.99 M

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I'm in a situation that I can wait for them to get in stock at Midway, etc.

But it still bothers me that they are out of stock, except for the price gougers on gunbroker.

On weekends, I used to go to the range and shoot a lot of handloads, in part developing optimum loads, and in part testing the accuracy potential of a given rifle.

I want to get back into doing that, but not just on weekends.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 cents a primer,, or 2 dollars a shot for factory...
pick one.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All components are hard to come by, powder, brass bullets and primers, You just have to keep shopping..Im on the hunt for 348 jacketed bullets and RL17 19, 15 and 22, WW760, and what have you..these are bad times created by foolish people.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Caveat Emptor!Beware of online scams. There are a bunch of online scammers who say they have products. They want you to pay with an APP called Zelle.
They have no FFL. They are not a Storefront despite pictures. They are an offshore scam! Don't let them scam you! Only use trusted established, and verifiable sellers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep looking online at the usual places I shop for shooting supplies, etc., and a few local stores, by phone. As I said, I can find powder, although not a broad variety as it used to be. I can find brass and bullets, and tools. But Midway, Mid-South shooters supply, Gaff and Sons, Natchez, etc. are all out of stock.

I won't deal with the sources on Gunbroker.

So, my question is why primers? This is the stuff conspiracy theories are fomented.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL you are a little late to that party!

Folks have been bitching about that and forming conspiracy theories about it for 2+ years.

Who knows, the conspiracy types could even be right (not likely, but there is always a first time...)

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had fairly good success with Brownells, ET Brass, Midway and Graffs using there notification system..

You state you have a supply, therefore you have no problem and sooner or later, this shortages will come to rest!! just as they always have, if not then everyone will be in a world of s---t.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammunitions Company Offers Ukraine 1 Million Bullets After Zelensky Plea
Xander Landen - 6h ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...AUExot?ocid=msedgntp

President Volodymyr Zelensky said he needed ammo to fight Russian forces who continue to invade the country.

After the United States offered to evacuate him out of Ukraine last week for his safety, the president said, "I need ammunition, not a ride."

In a press release, AMMO, Inc., stated that it "heard Ukraine's President Zelensky's plea for ammunition and would like to help," adding, "Ammo Inc. will formally offer to manufacture ammunition to donate to the Ukraine Armed Forces as they fight for their country's continued independence."

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, MidwayUSA has had some powder in stock since I've been watching for several weeks. I've ordered and recieved some.

Right now, they are totally out of stock, all brands.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything goes fast, and the prices keep going up.
that should tell you something about where most of it is going.

Primers are a special problem.
they don't make primers to sell to reloaders.

they sell leftovers, so even when they are available they ain't always coming out of the plant, they just happen to be sitting on a shelf in between shipments.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now with this war between Ukraine and Russia

even the over priced supplies will dry up and

for much longer.

Wish I could send them some of my supplies. Even

though I don't have any Ak stuff.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Caveat Emptor!Beware of online scams. There are a bunch of online scammers who say they have products. They want you to pay with an APP called Zelle.
They have no FFL. They are not a Storefront despite pictures. They are an offshore scam! Don't let them scam you! Only use trusted established, and verifiable sellers.

Thanks for that, Rusty.

Here's one example, apparently:

https://alphexfirearms.com/

https://www.bbb.org/us/ks/lawr...earms-0714-300281060
Business Alert

A search on reviews of the company yields "it's a scam"

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here, I see some primers. But not all sizes at once it seems.
A few shops allow 1 or 2 packets per customer, at $10-$15 a hundred, who would want to buy more!
But other shops have told me it's first come first serve. They have people who give them a cash advance, and a list of products, that when they arrive, is to go towards. No-one is going to get ahead of that.
If you can get by, give it time, they will be back eventually.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Are primers on a restricted list and hard to import? I've been wondering because it seems they are available in other countries and at reasonable prices but haven't really researched the matter.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunate to not be in a bind. I stocked up several years ago and have enough to hold me through the rest of my life.
Good Luck.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to a PH I've hunted with in South Africa at the SCI show a few weeks ago and he said their policy is to gather as many components as is possible during the closed season (now) and reload for all the guns in camp where possible. Factory ammo in some cases is simply not available. He said primers (sometimes Russian made other times CCI) are occasionally available in the $10-$15/ 100 range and most powders including IMR and Hodgdon are around $100/pound and are available within reason. Barnes and Swift A-Frame bullets (big boys 375 cal and up) average $1.50 each when available. Takes a month or so to gather up what they need and he ends up with basically all they need.
Glad we aren't there yet in the states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to buy some large rifle magnum primers today at a small local gun shop, Remington…but primers nonetheless. He had quite a few, behind the counter, and was selling to regular customers only. Limit 2 containers (200 primers)and reasonably priced. He also had quite a bit of powder, lots of Accurate powders, some IMR’s and Hogdon’s. Powder available to anyone but limited to 2 lbs. prices were between $30.00 and $46.00. He had a lot of projectiles, not many Barnes and quite a bit of ammo. Owner says bullets are no problem now, powder availability getting better every week, same with ammo. Said suppliers are really pushing 9 mm and .223 and are promising more primers shortly (especially if the shop buys a bunch of 9 mm and .223 Wink)

Karl Evans

Posts: 2748 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some encouragements about, but when MidwayUSA, and others show out of stock or temporarily unavailable for both powder and primers, for a long time, something is amuck.

IDing the reason is the solution, and I don't know the reason.

I have been able to buy some factory loads, enough to fill the need, imagined or real.

But I long for the way it used to be.

BTW, I have no use for 9mm or 223.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, in a worse case scenario, they make excellent bartering material.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an interesting data point to add to this discussion. Out of curiosity, I went to the Cabelas Canada website and searched for primers. They had CCI small rifle primers and CCI large pistol primers in stock --- but not available for shipment outside of Canada. Either they are getting allocations that we can't get here in the States, or this stuff has been sitting on the shelf up there for a long time.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Whatever is going on it is sure starting to feel like us reloaders are being singled out, either as the red headed step children or something worse.
The last time I paid a visit to my local Cal-ranch they showed quite a bit of factory ammo, but not even a whiff of components. It sucks. Im glad I have what I do have stocked.

Posts: 10137 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well.
we have a million reloaders for every 10 they have.
they'll run out too, it just takes longer.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Leon, just out of curiosity, I wonder what the duty would be to drive over + bring them back stateside, if any at all. I'm not driving to Canada but it does pique my interest.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BIG DAY!!

Walked into an out of the way shop and bought 1000 WLR, 2 pounds of Magpro, 1 lb of 4064 and traded a buddy on the way home some 7828SC to get a 1 lb of RL 17.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
BIG DAY!!

Walked into an out of the way shop and bought 1000 WLR, 2 pounds of Magpro, 1 lb of 4064 and traded a buddy on the way home some 7828SC to get a 1 lb of RL 17.

Maybe they bootlegged some of that Canadian paraphernalia across the border. Whistling

Posts: 10137 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Leon, just out of curiosity, I wonder what the duty would be to drive over + bring them back stateside, if any at all. I'm not driving to Canada but it does pique my interest.
Norman, The website actually stated they are not eligible for export, otherwise, I'd be tempted to make a road trip, as I have family who lives in Canada.

Posts: 113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
I was driving by the Brownells store on I-80 in Iowa last week and stopped in to find several bricks of CCI 450s. Limit of one per customer and $90+ after tax but glad to have it.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At this weeks gunshow in Filer Idaho, CCI primers were abundant and cheap and powder is showing up, I bought 8 lb jug of H414 for $150..two lbs. of cfe223 rifle for $40 each..the best Ive seen lately..Im seeing some light at the end of the tunnel I think...ET brass has .348 and 45-70 priced and some 405 gr. rem sp for the 45-70..Midway has swift 350 gr. partition HP for the 45-70..

Its looking up for my needs after a long dry drouth..Today I bought 100 Barnes 250 gr. .348 bullets on the internet..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Well, I am hoping this dry spell is over soon... I may have "enough" for a short while, but I am also cutting back on my shooting until I see it getting better... and that is inexcusable!
It still makes me a little pissed with the manufacturers... every time I buy components, there is a part of that price supposed to go to improving and maintenance of production... Yet here we go again!
I don't think I am getting my money's worth! shame

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather long Q&A video,but it answers some questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqvUstnOPo

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I’m still shooting the primers from the Sandy Hook buying scare (2009?). That one was a hoarding problem (yeah … I know. Guilty) This one is a supply chain/fear/hoarding problem.

I’m only buying small rifle primers when I find them since I shoot more small primers than large.

In this world of shortages, we make do. Magnum primers are a perfectly acceptable substitute for standard primers in pretty much every caliber or primer size. Vice versa, std for mag is also perfectly acceptable.

I use small rifle primers in my 9mm since I’m flush with them. There is literally no difference between the two. None.

Make do with what you have.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's always a hoarding problem; artificial demand based on fear and greed and nothing at all to do with the real model of supply and demand; (although it does become reality). I have friends who have ten lifetime's supply of primers. (Can't wait for their estate sales) It started in 1968 and resurfaces every time a dem starts talking about gun control.
The factories do not suddenly lose capacity to make stuff; they just make what is in highest demand. So the esoteric items I use, are not made at all.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cornfield SWO:
I was driving by the Brownells store on I-80 in Iowa last week and stopped in to find several bricks of CCI 450s. Limit of one per customer and $90+ after tax but glad to have it.

And there you have it. Overpriced and limited supply but glad to have it. The perfect scenario for inflated prices. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another way to look at the shortage-5,000,000 new gun owners in 2021. If they only bought a box of 20 rounds, how many extra primers is that!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true,but explain the lack of large rifle and large rifle magnum primers.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote