22 hornet
 Login/Join

Picture of yukon_kings
posted
super 16 22 hornet
win 296 10.5 gr
sierra 40 gr 1.720"
rem case fed 205 gm primer

Posts: 12 | Location: lower yukon river, AK | Registered: 03 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveAnd the result is?????????
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of yukon_kings
posted Hide Post
it groups pretty decent for close shots with iron sights. I keep shots under 50 yds. with such a short barrel, the bullet has a high arcing trajectory. I used to have a scope on it a long time ago. damn accurate but the "hold under" on closer shots was a bit much.

Posts: 12 | Location: lower yukon river, AK | Registered: 03 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornet cases are thin to begin with, but I've found the Remington cases to be particularly thin and delicate. On the other hand, some Remington nickeled cases I have seem much sturdier and longer lasting.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
As Speer Reloading Manual #14 states - "Certain old cartridges never lose their charm is the tiny 22 Hornet is one of those."

Fine accuracy from my Savage Model 25 using Lil Gun.

Picture of yukon_kings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Hornet cases are thin to begin with, but I've found the Remington cases to be particularly thin and delicate. On the other hand, some Remington nickeled cases I have seem much sturdier and longer lasting.

yup I use my case trimmer with a larger case pilot to bell out the mouth of the hornet case after its resized. enough bell where the bullet seats on top of the case just inside the mouth.
I've reloaded them many times where I had one fired casing split in the chamber. I had to find a correct size machine bolt scew where I screwed into the stuck case just a bit and pulled the case out.
this is my second firearm I started reloading for back in end of 80' early 90's (memory fuzzy). 1st was my marlin 1895 45/70. had imr 4198 available, got some small rifle primers and reloading dies for th 22 hornet. 1st box was factory remington rounds. l never purchased factory rounds for it again.
was using imr 4198 for a while. noticed lots unspent powder in the tube. switched to win 296.
started with 45 grs accuracy was good but high arcing. went 40 grs got a lil better with the trajectory. tried hornady 35 grs but with its pointed tips bullet alignment was bad.
went back to the 40grs, kept shots close. then purchased the 204 ruger. working on loads for it yet. but thats another story..