THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can 22-250 and/or 250 savage be formed from 6.5 Creedmoor?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can 22-250 and/or 250 savage be formed from 6.5 Creedmoor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve read that forming 6.5 Creedmoor from 22-250 brass is no sweat. Is the same true going the other direction? Can one form 22-250 from 6.5 Creedmoor brass?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problem, though you will most likely need to ream or turn the necks.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
Yes, no problem, though you will most likely need to ream or turn the necks.

Ok, so would I just need to run the case through a standard 22-250 sizing die? Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
You may need to size them down in a couple of passes rather than a single stroke, it's hard to say without actually doing it. Back in the day, when I was making 7x61 S&H from 7mm Rem Mag, some brands of brass would work fine with a single pass, others worked better if I partially 'shrank' them first, then rewiped the lube on the case before a final full-length sizing. Too much lube will result in dents.

I also used to make 250 Savage from 308 which is pretty similar to what you want to do, but took a couple of passes, a bunch of case trimming and neck reaming ending in a lot of time spent per usable case. Kept me off the streets, I guess.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
You may need to size them down in a couple of passes rather than a single stroke, it's hard to say without actually doing it. Back in the day, when I was making 7x61 S&H from 7mm Rem Mag, some brands of brass would work fine with a single pass, others worked better if I partially 'shrank' them first, then rewiped the lube on the case before a final full-length sizing. Too much lube will result in dents.

I also used to make 250 Savage from 308 which is pretty similar to what you want to do, but took a couple of passes, a bunch of case trimming and neck reaming ending in a lot of time spent per usable case. Kept me off the streets, I guess.

Thanks Steve! I was concerned that the steep shoulder of the 6.5 CM would present a problem. There sure seems to be a lot more 6.5 CM brass and ammo out there right now than 22-250. With the perfect storm of Remington being in Limbo and the massive buying, it will be a while before certain types of brass will be commonly available.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6XC brass ought ta' work , too.

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:

I had not thought of that, and it like maybe an even better alternative to 6.5 CM. However, it’s not very common.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:

I had not thought of that, and it like maybe an even better alternative to 6.5 CM. However, it’s not very common.
Graf & Sons has it in stock (Peterson head stamp). I'm not finding any CM brass, not that I need any..

Posts: 677 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would run them thru a trim die, then a std die and then outside neck ream I think, it usually takes a case or two to get things right..May have to fireform but I havn't got around to giving that much thought..Thats what I do with making 25-35s from 30-30 cases...You can buy a complete set of case forming dies but they cost much more and do the same thing in most caliber anyway..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would run them thru a trim die, then a std die and then outside neck ream I think, it usually takes a case or two to get things right..May have to fireform but I havn't got around to giving that much thought..Thats what I do with making 25-35s from 30-30 cases...You can buy a complete set of case forming dies but they cost much more and do the same thing in most caliber anyway..

Thanks Ray!

Matt
FISH!!