New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk about a mess!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I prepped 25 rifle cases, and charged them with W-748. It wasn't until I took them into the next room (my charging station and press are in two different rooms) and grabbed one to put it in the press to seat a bullet, that I noticed a small but steady string of ball powder coming from the bottom of the case. I held it up in the air to look, and sure'nuf, there was no primer!

So I sez to myself, "Self, you missed that one when you primed your brass."

So I grabbed another case to move it, and same thing -- no primer! Then It hit me -- I had forgotten to prime any of the cases! By the time I got all the cases dumped back into the hopper, there was a little mound of ball powder in the bottom of every hole in my tray.

It's not that I have not done this before, but I think it's the first time I did a whole tray, and the first time with ball powder! I guess I can be thankful that it wasn't a canister powder that wouldn't fit through the flash hole, and I went ahead an seated the bullets.

That would entertain the other folks at the range as I tried to figure out why there was no "BOOM" when I pulled the trigger!

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...I guess we have done it all. Interesting that you have a separate room.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have we been imbibing or just not paying attention? At least you caught it. We've all done it. And at least you caught it!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I had not been drinking. It was about 11:00 a.m. I was in a hurry to get them finished so I could drive down to the range and test several loads in different calibers.

That's cause #1 -- Being in a Rush!

The other problem was after I sized them and measured them, there were four or five cases that were a little too long and several cases with primer pockets that could use cleaning. Normally, I prime my cases before going into the next room to the trimmer and if a primer pocket is dirty, clean it out with a hand tool. But since there were so many cases, and since I was going to the trimmer anyway, I decided to use my RCBS Trim Mate with its rotating pocket cleaner to clean them. When I was finished trimming my pre-programmed auto reflexes kicked in and went right into what is normally the next step: charging the cases!

Cause #2 --Break in Routine!

It used to be no problem if I broke a routine, but the older I get, the more it seems I'm tied to whatever routine I am used to. So that leads us to.....

Cause #3 -- Getting Old

I would say, "live and learn" but I've lived a long time and learned about as much as I'm gonna learn. A better saying for me is "live and don't forget!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of reloading while imbibing, We had a case here in Georgia a few years back where a guy was doing just that, and ended up dumping whatever rifle powder he was wanting to use into his hopper -- on top of a hopper half full of Bullseye!

The found him dead with an Enfield bolt in his brain, and several unfired .303 rounds, in his tray, most full of Bullseye.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I have charged a few without priming them first, but I then developed a routine where I put them into a tray head up or head down depending on what I'm doing - so they go in head down initially and as I deprime each one it gets put into the same block, head up, so I can see that it is deprimed, then I trim and chamfer and put them head down, so I can see the pretty shiny brass and then I prime and put them head up, so I can see the primers.

Then I weigh out loads and put them head down so I can see inside them all, and after seating the bullet they go into the MYM box.

Just my routine - it works for me.

Although there was a guy I used to shoot wife in RSA who loaded a whole tray of his favourite 7x64 before realising that there was no primer, so he just seated primers in the cases. After I heard this, I'd move to the other side of the range every time he appeared.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
I have charged a few without priming them first, but I then developed a routine where I put them into a tray head up

old Many years ago after having been guilty of charging unprimed cases I also began to heads up the primed case so it was apparent if the cases were primed or not. Than they were turned over and charged. flame roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote