New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's happening with this load.... ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Something about the current load for my .300 Win Mag has me baffled. It's a Tikka and I swapped the factory barrel ( 1 / 11 twist ) which didn't shoot for a NZ made True Flite 24 inch barrel ( 1 / 10 twist ) that shoots very nicely, and flat, with Barnes TTSX 180 gn, getting approx 3100 fps with RL17 69.50 gns, Federal 215 Mag Primer, in Norma cases. Coal is 85.00 mm ( 3.346 inch ). Bullet is seated approx 1.30 mm off the lands.

Zero is 250 yards and it shoots pretty much on the mark at 100, and 250 yards. However at 300 yards it shoots to the left of centre but with the expected bullet drop. Then at 400 yards it shoots pretty much back at centre, again with the expected drop for that distance. The photos here illustrate what's happening. All shots fired were over a portable benchrest in very calm conditions so wind drift is not the cause. On one occasion this happened with cases that already had several loadings. My last batch of loads was with brand new cases and exactly the same thing happened. I am willing to tweak things to correct this but would very much prefer to stick with this bullet and powder as they proved the most accurate combination during initial load development.

Anyone care to offer their expertise towards finding a cure ?
I should say I don't think it's me but I'm not ruling that out either !

100 yards
https://drive.google.com/file/...O6m/view?usp=sharing

250 yards
https://drive.google.com/file/...9Na/view?usp=sharing

300 & 400 yds
https://drive.google.com/file/...8DL/view?usp=sharing

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me the that it is shooting to left I move to the right the proper amount.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Something to do with your eyes and the difference in target appearance (pink rather than orange) and how you acquire the combo at various distances? Dunno. I'd see if it stays the same two different days, with identical targets.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Really not enough data to figure it out.
I see Vertical stringing. it could be a number of things look this link over. it may shed some light on the problem.
http://www.6mmbr.com/verticaltips.html

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parallax issue, maybe?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that the the 100 yard group is centered but the 250 yard group is in the bottom left of the dot.
The 300 yard group continues the drop to the left and the 400 yard group is the outlier.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see perfect at 100, and to the left at 250 and 300. Been there, done that bought the t-shirt.

I think your scope is not perpendicular to the bore. Try loosening the scope rings and twisting the scope ever so slightly to the left (counterclockwise when viewed from your head in its shooting position). Tighten your scope screws.

Come back to 100 yards, and using windage and elevation bring your zero back to where it originally was. Then see where you are at 250 and 300 yards. (Unless you torque your screws to the same value as the original group, you may introduce an error just in loosening and tightening them.)

If it is cant, you'll be able to walk your bullets to where you want them to be.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 100 yard group isn't exactly on the line but about 1/4 minute left. That accounts for a full inch at 400.

I usually check it at 100 but always dial it and sight it in at 400 without any wind. I'd rather be 1/4 MOA right at 100 than 1 MOA left at 400.

By the way, nice shootin' Tex!

Just a thought,
Zeke

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this applies but maybe?
I used to shoot IHMSA silhouette with a 7mmTC/U. At Stockton, Ca range the range faces east and sometimes when shooting in the late afternoon the sun would reflect off of the bottom of the bullets so you could actually see their flight path. It appeared that rather than a parabolic flight path the bullets actually flew in a slight helical path to the target. Might have been an optical illusion or a quirk. Any ballisticians here?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I see the POI slightly left at 100 & 250

More left at 300

and slightly right at 400.

Note the 100 yard target appears to have a 1" dot on it and the group appears to be about 1-1.125 inches.

That equates to 3.0-3.375 & 4.0-4.5 inches at 300 and 400 yards, respectively.

Your bullet impacts are well within those tolerances.

I would say fire at least three (3) three (3) shot groups at each distance to see what is really going on. Fire them on different aiming points so its easier to keep track of any called flyers etc.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could simply boil down to barrel heat and barrel harmonics.
Have you ever sighted in your rifle in winter and then had a shift in POI in summer, or vice versa?
Also, 2 shots don’t really tell you much.
I shoot F-Class, at 400mtr, the shift in impact from the bullet spin is seeable in a 300WM shooting 210/215gr bullets, now this may not be the case here, but could be due to barrel harmonics shifting POI and the bullet drift compensating.
I know that my bullets @ 1000mtrs drift 12” just from spin drift, even @ 400mtr there will be some drift.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I can't really see anything unusual in those groups and shot falls.

If some are a little to the left, a little wind may have come up. I take it the lowest shots were from 400 yards, at which distance I am surprised how flat shooting it is.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The scope is off axis as mounted on the receiver.

Or the cross hair adjustment is almost out of windage. Center the cross hairs in the scope . Then shim the scope to zero or buy adjustable mounts.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic groups and I wish I could shoot all my rifles like that.

If you can consistently shoot like that, you would win every shoot at the NZDA!

Honest all those groups tell me the deer is dead every time. You could shoot rabbits at 400 meters with that kind of shooting.

Now if you really want to get technical, tape on a small spirit level on top of your scope and get a mate to watch while you mount the rifle and see if you are canting the rifle stock into your cheek. My normal shooting posture is to cant the rifle left into my face. So my scopes are always mounted a bit right of perpendicular to the rifle's axis. Not sure if this really makes a difference as the bullet drop is determined by gravity & not by the canting of the rifle.

If you still want to make adjustments, just go 1 click to the right at 100 meters & that will move your groups to right at 200, 300 & 400.

Once again, I see nothing wrong with that.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO problem there, at that range it can be eye focus, don't discount wind on a calm day and its not the same at 400 yards as from your bench, trigger squeeze is a real culprit with the best of shots..books have been written on the subject..at 400 or more yards just a breeze can move a bullet that much, and the accuracy of a rifle is not the same at each yardage..and on and on.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote