New
Find
Notify
Tools

New reload/gun cleaning room
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several months ago I started building a new gun room/"man cave"/reloading room. Wanted to incorporate all the latest gadgets and technology. Should be completed in a few more weeks. Unfortunately these projects always seem to go over budget....could have had a couple more guns for what this is costing.

Features:
- Central Vacuum system
- Compressed air lines
- Wide screen cable TV/DVD/radio sytem
- Computer system
- Keypad lock system on door
- No permanent benches
- Storage, storage, & more storage (for all those things that clutter benches)
- Closet for hunting clothes
- Wall mount gun rack for firearms being worked on

Anything else I should add?

If needed, roll cabs provide extra bench surface
area.

Never been satisfied with drilling holes in a bench and bolting a press down. Once installed most presses never move again. Always intrigued with the possibility of a quick change system that gives more bench room if needed. Here's what I came up with, two rails of extruded aluminum recessed into the bench top that presses get mounted to. Composite bases are attached to each loader and accessory. Rail allows press to slide up and down the bench, then simply lock it in place by tightening bolts. Next step will be a stock and forearm rest that attaches to the same rail system for cleaning guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You forgot the kitchen sink!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SHEESH!!!!!!! I'll never be happy in my garage again!!!

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the extruded aluminum rail stock? I really like the potential uses in a shop work benches.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crashcarruthers:
Where did you get the extruded aluminum rail stock? I really like the potential uses in a shop work benches.

+1,

I get a new gunroom in the new house and it's got to be upper scale so a set up like that would really look good.
The old room below was always too cluttered.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extrusion is called 8020 (tradename) http://www.8020.net/ , (1" X 2")scrap we had left over at work. Available from a number of sources, "MSC" has 8' lengths for about $40. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=29685610

Here's something that may work on thinner bench tops. All you need is a router and the special bit to install the double T channel.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52400&cat=1,43455,52799

Plastic plates are HDPE (high density poly), extremely ridged and very slick, won't mar the bench surface.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get those roll cabnets?

They look pretty slick.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sams Club had the benches, tool boxes, stools,and roll cabs ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where does your Gun Bearer sleep?

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
VERY, VERY NICE!!! I've got the same bench, small roller cabinet, & stool from Sam's Club. Very good quality and very sturdy. I'd say your "light" on the estimate you could of probably bought a "couple" more guns!! Your right about never having enough storage; I'll probably be heading back to Sam's! Congratulations on a premier set-up.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Rembrandt1,

That looks like a great room you have put together there!!

The only thing that springs to mind is the big flatscreen cinema system , recliner chair with integrated beer coolers, and the pole for the dancing girls!! Wink

Seriously, It's nice to see shooting rooms nicely done. I'm still dreaming of mine!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. +1 on the wide screen and dehumidified system is where?

Yeppers Sam's Club is going to wonder where all the business came from!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where's the beer cooler?? beer

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! That is a really slick set up! Smiler

makes my bench look pale and pathetic in comparison!!!!

Quickshot

BOOM jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Very nice indeed. +1 on the wide screen and dehumidified system is where?

Yeppers Sam's Club is going to wonder where all the business came from!

Unfortunately the room is about half as big as I'd like, the wide screen TV is a full 7". No dehumidifier needed, central Air takes care of those problems.

This room is for light duty cleaning and reloading. More complex projects go to a well equipped garage. For security reasons gun safes are stored else where in the house.

As for liquid refreshment, a Dr Pepper pop machine is on the other side of the basement. Afraid I don't smoke or drink so there's a little more to budget for the gun room and toys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice setup, I really like the quick detach presses great idea. Damn now I have more stuff to change in my reloading room. A work of art Rembrandt(no pun intended, lol).

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote