New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting new old bullets..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some time back I purchased 5 boxes of 100 gr. Western Tool and Copper hollow point bullets for 25 caliber rifles on AR classified as I recall, loaded them up in my 250-3000 and they shot under an inch for 3 shots every time in my 99...Man they are accurate and they are a hammer on deer, elk, antelope, and coyotes. Used these Western Tool and Copper bullets back when I was in high school. Also liked the old Western Open POint Expanding bullets. They lacked a little penetration but killed light game such as deer real fast, and would get to the offside rib cage on a big bull elk.

Low and behold I was at a gun show on Saturday and found another 2 boxes of the 25 cal. and 3 boxes of 180 gr. round nose 30 cal. soft points with lots of lead exposed..Loaded these up in my .308 Savage 99 and my 30-06 Ruger..Talked to an old timer, to ya'll not me, I am also an old timer..We talked about using these bullets back in the late 40s and 50s..They expanded well and killed deer real quick and the old timer told me they were his favorite bullet on elk and bear in his 30-40 Krag and 30-06 until the company went "tits up"..

I'll be using these next year for deer, elk and hopefully a bear or wolf if either present a target of opertunity while I'm hunting elk or deer. Coyotes this summer.

Its fun using these best old bullets of yesterday. These and the old corelokts were my favorite bullets in those days and Im sure they are still great bullets. I killed several elk and many deer with the 250 Savage and this bullet, and in each case they went down to the shot behind the shoulder. Can't wait to get in a thick spot I know North of Sun Valley and stick one of these 180 gr. 30 caliber bullets in an elk or deer..May try one on a Texas whitetail out of my blind in Lometa.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have no use for them fancy, modern brass bullets; I like the old school CoreLocks, Silvertips, and Power Points from the 50s and 60s; they kill fine for me. Not quite old enough for the Western Tool and Copper bullets though.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I picked up about 2,500 bullets at an estate sale years ago, 49 grain Sisk .224" Express bullets. These are from the 1940's. I just loaded and shot them by the handfuls, they are accurate and explosive out of my 22/250 on all forms of varmints. Amazing product from 70 plus years ago.
I'm still sitting on hundreds of them in case anyone wants a new unopened box.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Sisk made the bullets here in Iowa Park, TX.
I met him back in the 60's and couldn't have met a nicer person. All his bullets were .224 & .228 and all shot excellent. Mr. Sisk made all his machinery himself, so was very talented. the old shop is gone, but I do know a fellow who supposedly has some of his machinery, but I have never seen it.
His bullets were packaged in a tan box with a paper towel stuffed in the top to take up space.
I still have a few of his bullets and the information about he and his bullets can be found in an old Gun Digest from somewhere in that time period.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes you described them to a "T".
I have dozens of un-opened boxes of the .224 variety.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as they perform. Like many, I have read Elmer Keith's Big Game Rifles, and this pre WW2 book is a litany of complaints about small caliber bullets not expanding, or blowing up on game. That may be a major reason Keith liked big bore rifles: the bullets started wide and stayed wide. Even modern bullets will blow up, I had been talking to a New Mexico hunter, one particular bullet he tried blew up on the skin of an Elk he had shot. He never used those again. I don't remember the brand, but I do remember he was using a 308 Win, which does not push bullets at magnum velocities.

I am of the opinion that the bullets we have today are the best bullets we have ever had. Only in the last few decades have attempts been made to use realistic test medias. For humans it is ballistic gelatin. If you read your vintage magazines, Gunwriters then were shooting bullets into duxseal, soap, steel, wood, znd wet newsprint, claiming that real life performance in flesh was similar. Of course we all know that bullets that passed their tests would be extremely effective on deer made of duxseal, soap, steel, wood, wet newsprint. Forests have a wondrous, if not magical variety of creatures: why Dorothy met the Tin Man in the woods. But outside of the Land of Oz that gun writers inhabit, it has not been until recently that I have read of calibrated test media being used to develop bullet. So I am hopeful that today's bullets are going to be far more consistent in performance than the bullets developed to shoot those up-armored wooden deer of yore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up several hundred old bullets at an estate sale about ten years ago. Most, including the WT&C and Remington hp were good for about 2 moa. Exceptions were the Jordan 270 slugs and some .22 caliber bullets made by Clarence Detsch.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find some old Western Open Point expanding 150 gr. .308 bullets, Win used to load that bullet in the 270 also...As a kid I shot a lot of mule deer with them in both calibers and they were real killers, most of them blew up inside a deer and killed instantly..not a good bullet for a going south shot however. They are an awesome bullet on whitetail.

Elmer was pretty one way or the highway kind of guy, I remember all the elk and deer he wounded with a 30-06, probably shooting GI stuff if the truth were know. I never wounded anything with a 30-06, it worked on elk and deer for me and still does. Elmer could be absolutly unreasonable and simply hated Jack O'Connor, and visa versa as they opined differently on guns and ammo. I,ve been told that squabble was just for show, but don't ever believe that, it was real..Jack just couldn't stand Elmers BS!! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote