New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma .404 J brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a couple boxes of Norma .404 Jeffery brass and would like to get 100 or so more. Have not been able to find it in the usual sources.

Any ideas for a source?

Thanks,

AT

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on being a survivalist with your 404 Smiler
When I acquired my 404 back in 1978 a German friend of mine brought out 2 boxes of 20 new RWS cases for me on his next hunting trip. I am still using the first 20 rounds having loaded them countless times with full power loads and now retired them to cast loads. Have been keeping one packet of the new RWS cases unused for Africa, if I ever get there.

Regular annealing of the long necks and keeping pressure levels to give around 2,250 fps at the muzzle certainly helps preserve cases.

Are the 404 Norma cases nickel plated as they load in their Africa PH ammo or plain brass? I don't know how annealing of nickel plated brass goes, never tried it. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
I found a couple boxes of Norma .404 Jeffery brass and would like to get 100 or so more. Have not been able to find it in the usual sources.

Any ideas for a source?

Thanks,

AT

Alec,
Here you go, best price I have ever found.
John

http://www.safariammo.net/index.php/404-rimless.html

Eagle, the Norma brass is not nickel plated so no problems with annealing if you choose to do so.

Posts: 746 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I ordered a couple boxes.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty poor (non existant) “customer service” from Safari Ammo..... pinocchio

I ordered a couple of boxes on Friday the 29th as well, got the order confirmation that said “once your package ships we will email....”, etc.

Just now, with no other explanation, I got an email from a business clearing house that states a full refund to my credit card.
No explanation, no “sorry, out of stock”, no change on their website stating “out of stock”.

At least I got my money back......no, I will not attempt business with them again.
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't really think a dealer was going to sell new Norma 404J brass for less than half retail did ya?

Hell I'd have bought half a dozen boxes at that price.

Graf & Sons is about the best place, but at the normal price.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:
Didn't really think a dealer was going to sell new Norma 404J brass for less than half retail did ya?

Hell I'd have bought half a dozen boxes at that price.

Graf & Sons is about the best place, but at the normal price.

Phil

OK Boomer..... Whistling

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:

---------
Phil

Actually
Yes,
have bought both ammo and brass at half retail online in the past

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:

I ordered a couple of boxes on Friday the 29th as well, got the order confirmation that said “once your package ships we will email....”, etc.

Just now, with no other explanation, I got an email from a business clearing house that states a full refund to my credit card.
No explanation, no “sorry, out of stock”, no change on their website stating “out of stock”.

At least I got my money back......no, I will not attempt business with them again.
- Mike

Sorry you had a bad experience with Safari Ammo. I have purchased from them many times and never had a problem, that's why I posted the link. And yes they do sell the 404 brass for $30.00 per 25 as I have over 500 pieces in my basement all bought at that price.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:

- Mike

Sorry you had a bad experience with Safari Ammo. I have purchased from them many times and never had a problem, that's why I posted the link. And yes they do sell the 404 brass for $30.00 per 25 as I have over 500 pieces in my basement all bought at that price.

No wonder Mike can't get any, you've bought all the stock Big Grin

Posts: 3819 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Because we have several wildcats based on the 404, I bought several barrels of new cases years ago.

They cam from Norma in very large cardboard barrels clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Because we have several wildcats based on the 404, I bought several barrels of new cases years ago.

Saeed, years ago Parker Hale contacted Norma on my behalf to see if they had any components left from the batch of custom 404 ammo they loaded for Parker Hale, a couple of packets of which came with my 404 rifle when I purchased it. I wanted to get some more cases and components for the 404 which were scarce back then. I still have the letter of reply from Norma which said someone had bought up all the remaining stock of 404 brass and there is none left for reloaders.

So it was you who got them all. rotflmo

PS. I actually do have the letter stating they had no components left, Norma must have just left your name out of it tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Norma brass, and RWS in my 404. much preferred the RWS, but prefer RWS in any caliber as a matter of fact...I believe I also used Horneber brass and really liked it..

I didn't baby my 404 and brass. I shot it with a 400 gr. bullet at 2400 to 2450 FPS with 93 grs. of 4831..The brass lasted forever but Ive come to expect that from the 4831 powders that give less pressure and more velocity than than most powders...When I went to Africa, I always used new brass in any rifle....

I never found 404 brass too difficult to find..and today it almost has to be more available in that so many new factory calibers and wildcats are based on the 404 case...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed, years ago Parker Hale contacted Norma on my behalf to see if they had any components left from the batch of custom 404 ammo they loaded for Parker Hale, a couple of packets of which came with my 404 rifle when I purchased it. I wanted to get some more cases and components for the 404 which were scarce back then. I still have the letter of reply from Norma which said someone had bought up all the remaining stock of 404 brass and there is none left for reloaders.

So it was you who got them all. rotflmo

PS. I actually do have the letter stating they had no components left, Norma must have just left your name out of it tu2

Hahaha!

I will tell you another story about hard to find brass and ammo.

My grandad had a 244 H&H Magnum.

Ammo was hard to come by, and at one stage Holland and Holland rationed the sale of ammo of this rifle to no more than 50 rounds a year!!

I used to deal with a gentleman who was one of the directors there.

He used to stay at my house when he came to Dubai.

One day he called, and said he had primed brass and bullets, but not loaded ammo for the 244 H&H Magnum.

They wanted to get rid of it, and he would gladly give it to me free of charge if I signed a disclaimer absolving them of any responsibility for it.

I agreed.

He sent me cases of these - I still have them.

They are made by Norma, in 5 round paper boxes clap

When we had no brass, I used to form cases for from 300 Weatherby Magnum brass.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66667 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
No wonder Mike can't get any, you've bought all the stock Big Grin

I was actually accused of that by a Gentleman here in Michigan. I told him where I bought the brass and they were out of stock when he went to order some. I learned a long time ago, when you find reloading supplies at a good price, buy all you can afford. It never gets cheaper only more expensive.
P.S. Don't tell my wife about the 100K primers I got a great price on, that would now cost me double what I paid.