New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Squirrel Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For my money Clay gave the best advice. That's what squirrel hunting is all about to me.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer a 50 Hawken in Percussion. But thats me and you might not have access to one. If you follow the more sensable suggestions here you will do fine. I hope you enjoy yourself,I know I would. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get in camo, wear face paint, load, point, shoot, ...... O.K.....O.K.! First check your local laws. I don't care if the owner says you can shoot. The law might say you can't!!! Do you need a license? Check that out yourself!! After that done, Get the land owner permition in writing!!!!! Even if it's someone you know very,very,very well!! Now thats to C.Y.A.! Now for the fun part. Take the weapon the you intend to use to a range , sight it in with the same ammo you are going to use on the hunt, at a good range for the cartrige you are going to use. 22 long rifle 75 yards, 223rem. 150 to 200 yards 22-250rem. 200 yards ect. I myself like to walk the property the day before the hunt if it's local. This is very important! You want to see all the good spots and the thing you don't want to shoot biuldings, pumps, electrical items ect. After all that you will be able to have a good time with out any undo surprises. As for how to shooting a squirrel. Well, Aim for the chest, pull the trigger. It's that easy. Ya,one more thing use a shooting position you fell comfortable with( prone, standing, from a bipode if you like) and is sturdy. hpoe this helps. 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Sit down and lean back against a tree,,,,,be still and have some fun!! Move just enough to make the shot,,Save checking them out or picking them up 'till you're done.If laws allow,,,wear a red and black flannel shirt,,,and a pair of worn denims that you had a black walnut fight in Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I'm thinking of hunting ground squirrels with a .22 rifle on a private farm. I've never done that before; anyone have any tips on how to do that? Any advice appreciated. Thx.