Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree Rats in KY
 Login/Join

posted
MY most recent squirrel hunt and last back home before I moved here to AK. The pic with the shotgun was my old .410 killed my first squirrel with it around age 6. I limited out that morning in only a couple hrs, sat under the same group of trees all morning over looking the river. I floated in around day break and didn't have to wait long. I actually jumped one on the way to my honey hole as I began to beach the kayak and sneak into position. It'd been several years since I'd had some time off to actually hunt them and remembered why I used to love this as a kid. Can't wait to get back and take my niece and the neighbor kid they're finally to the age where they can appreciate what's going on. She is quite the shot with my 10/22 but, going to start her out with the ole .410 like I was. Figured out floating down the river in a kayak is an awesome way to find them they paid almost zero attn to me as they had seen me fishing this way all summer. Kept the shotgun at the read in my lap in case I jumped one moving between spots they're much easier to hit on the move than with a bolt action 77/22. The other pic was a few days after with a friend on our farm, we were only hunting a couple hrs as a storm moved in and we knew they'd be holed up until it passed. The last pic is the type of shots my dad and grandpa always wanted me to take I try for head shots at them all. Once in a while I'll shoot behind or between the shoulders depending on the shot angles. The rifles pictured are both Ruger one is 77/22 the other a 10/22, both have trigger jobs and have been taken apart and the stocks sanded down so the barrels are free floating. The bolt action wears a leupold 4x, the semi a 1.5-6x nikon monarch, the bolt is much easier to walk around with as it ways almost nothing the semi with a heavy barrel and target stock is a bit less fun to carry but, equally as accurate. If I do my part they'll shoot one ragged hole at 50yd with CCI Stingers, and federal 550 rd bricks. I've grown to really like the stingers as they fragment and expend their energy much better, with the federals I've had to track a few down even with well placed shots, a head shot is still a head shot but I enjoy using my .22 all yr and with leaves still on most of the good hardwood trees the ability to shoot behind shoulder is much appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Location: Anchorage | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With Quote