Find
Notify
Tools

AAA assistance not needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
I went down to Morehead City last weekend to help my brother fish. I was up early friday and left before daylight. It was hot already and supposed to get to 108 (heat index) by 10:00. I stopped at the I-95 rest stop to take a break a little later still before sunup and there was an old beat up 14 passenger chevy van parked with a u-hauler trailer hooked up. It had a roll-up type of door to it. Twenty-five or more amigos, were over by the trees near the custodian's hut in the back of the rest stop area, taking an aromatic smoke break and one had just shut the roll-up door and walked away to the group as I pulled in. I went in to the public building and took a rest. I was back in my old F-150 and almost ready to pull out when a huge black tom jumped on the u-hauler bumper and clawed at the rollup door. Amazingly the door was not latched down tight and it just sprung open about 3 inches. Not wanting either the cat or the amigos to have a problem later, I slipped on my "Old Time Trapper Supply Co." gauntlets from under the seat, grabbed that cat around the neck with one hand and opened the roll-up, tossed him in, and shut the door in one quick, smooth motion. The door was really latched down this time for sure. Glad to help out international relations, and being soft hearted, even help a cat, a little. You know me. I drove off into the sunrise thinking how hot it would soon be in that van with all those riders.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
grabbed that cat around the neck with one hand and opened the roll-up, tossed him in, and shut the door in one quick, smooth motion.

Good Job, N. S.
The crats tail caught in the door would have made for some pretty melodies.

I get tired of working(?) me and the better half are gonna get us a house on the Bogue Sound.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am beset with consternation NS. While appreciation for your actions is sincerely extended I am left to wonder if you could not have done better with a bobcat, or perhaps a Windy State Panther. Confused

My Grand Dad on the mother's side was an inventive and sometimes mischevious sort. On more than one occasion he wound up with live bobcats in his possession, and invariably to many suitcases to boot. He would stuff one in the other and set it on the road shoulder by the local tavern favored by fruit pickers when in season. Just far enough to not be seen until they were in their car/truck on the way back to the quarters. It seemed to work like a Swiss watch. They'd pick it up, get up to about 30-40 mph, then everybody would abandon a perfectly fine auto to its own distruction. I guess that shaking the case first did something unsavory to the bobby's attitude.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.GetOutOfTheCar.PutYourFaceInTheDirt!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
DD,

Your grand dad had a fine sense of humor.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Grand Dad on the mother's side was an inventive and sometimes mischevious sort. On more than one occasion he wound up with live bobcats in his possession, and invariably to many suitcases to boot. He would stuff one in the other and set it on the road shoulder by the local tavern favored by fruit pickers when in season. Just far enough to not be seen until they were in their car/truck on the way back to the quarters. It seemed to work like a Swiss watch. They'd pick it up, get up to about 30-40 mph, then everybody would abandon a perfectly fine auto to its own distruction. I guess that shaking the case first did something unsavory to the bobby's attitude.

Your Grandfather! Had a style that has been lost & is sadly missed ! jump

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote