THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Skin and Gut a Rabbit - maybe seen already but ...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skin and Gut a Rabbit - maybe seen already but ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7trIwVMYZA

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty slick. Never thought of doing it that way.

That guy had a hell of a pile of rabbits. My Father and Myself took 20 in one afternoon of elk hunting near Maybell, Colo. Wish I knew this method on that day. Sure would have been easier and a lot less messy.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been doing it that way for years.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know much about skinning a wabbit, but if sufficient gun is used on a crat, BOOM flame there is no skinning involved Big Grin

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdkidaho
posted Hide Post
That was amazingly quick - very impressive.

I've never eaten rabbit. I've shot quite a few when they've had population booms in our area, but never eaten them...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rabbit are delicious.....not merely "good", but delicious!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I have taken to pressing the meat from many of the rabbits I take.
I only take take them from the rib back so dressing is simplified.
I slow simmer 7 rabbits for 3 hours in 3 liters (5 1/4 pints) of water with 2 pigs trotters, seasoned with 2 grinds of black pepper and salt per rabbit. Desert spoon of molasess and two teaspoons of green herb stock.

Toward the end of the rabbit cooking take 1kg (2 1/4lb) bacon scraps and dice small along with a large onion and lightly fry.

Remove rabbit from liquid and set asside to cool. Break up the pigs trotters and continue to simmer untill the liquid is reduced to about 750-800 ml( 1 1/4 pints) While this is reducing, strip all the meat from the rabbits and shred (pull apart with fingers) I find it easiest to drop all the shredded meat into a bucket I keep in the kitchen for this and similar purposes. Add the cooked bacon and onion and mix well with the rabbit meat.

Strain off the reduced liquid. This sets as a jelly when cool and is what keeps the resulting tube of meat as a slicable length.

I got a couple of 300mm (1 ft) lengths of 100mmx100mm (4 x 4in) aluminium as a mould but any suitable container will work.
I put a plastic bag in the aluminium mould and drop in a handfull of the mixed meat and add a soup laddel of the liquid and continue on untill all the meat and liquid is in the container, then set in the fridge overnight.

Slices of this are great with tomato etc in sandwiches for summer lunches or thicker sliced as cold meat with a meal. Will keep in the fridge for up to a week so I usually put 8 - 10 slices in freezer bags because doing this amount there is plenty for weeks to come.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7trIwVMYZA

This works best when the rabbit is still warm. Why I don't know. I prefer the slice and flick with the knife blade method as it allows the carcass to chill quicker.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Never seen that before. I always hated cleaning rabbits.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you have 100+ rabbits to gut and stack in the chiller at the end of a nights lamping the squeese, squeese, squirt method is too slow.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link. The gentleman knows his business.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind this technique is used for head shot rabbits. Shotgun rabbits may be problematic, guts squeezed under pressure are going out the weakest exit. A perforated rabbit may have innards going places other than out the rear vent.

Picture of Mark T.
posted Hide Post
That sure was slick. Can't wait to try it.

Always learning.

Posts: 14 | Location: S.E Az | Registered: 10 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This how I do it and all that I take from them.
A short vid

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the how to, but I split the skin cross wise over the withers (shoulders) about a couple of inches, insert fingers and pull skin in opposite directions and he is skinned in one motion..then gut it..

In far West Texas when we quail hunt we usually get a dozen cotton tails with the blues on a days hunt. I like the rabbit as much as I like the quail.

Warning: wait until after the second hard freeze to hunt rabbits, then be sure and check the liver for spots. Tularemia may be found.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's freaking awesome! I hope to try that tomorrow.

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Would this method work on squirrels?

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your asking me on my post above, I don't know Ann, but I'm bett'en it would.

I cut about an inch across the withers insert two fingers in each side and pull in opposite directions in one move and its done, takes about 15 seconds cut the head off and the legs and its done..then split and gut them..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to bust the thread but I have a sharpening question for Ann. Do you use a system of stones or the new system that goes on a bench grinder with the paper polishing wheel? I have both and unless there is a lot to do, I prefer a stone.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 2018 update on sharpening tools. The little hand belt sander sold by Cabellas, forgot the name but it sure is a dandy and I can sharpen a knife in two or three passes..and I usually put it on a stone to finish it, but its good without finishing it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time me and some friends killed a mess of rabbits and left them in the back of a truck with a bunch of beagle hounds.

We went inside and ate dinner with my aunt (we were hunting on her property).

When we came back out an hour or so later we discovered the dogs had skinned all of the rabbits for us!

All that was left was the rabbit skins with feet attached. They had cleaned out all the flesh and bones.

Easiest way to skin a rabbit I ever saw.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote