THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Small Game Hunting    Re: A Small Game Hunting Method?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A Small Game Hunting Method?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think the best thing about the sickle bar, is that the critter truly and honestly thinks they got away from you, and WHAM! they are legless in the legumes, or if they are short, they are headless in the hay.

That is, if you are mowing alfalfa.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a sickle bar is one evil lookin' piece of hardware...

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, "Headless in the Hay" sounds like Capstick's lost manuscript. It's been the subject of countless expeditions. "Legless in the Legumes" was colossal failure authored by Jimmy Carter just after his second election run as I recall. Still, the effects are special!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.NoSacred.Cows

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr. Digital Dan Sir: It is not commonly known but when a certain fellow was president, virtually all pols had a potted peanut on the desk, presumably as proof of their nuttiness. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The bunnies are blooming in Michigan. Big time, must be due to all the rain, they are EVERYWHERE.

So, with my trusty "Husky"

Man, and I thought a "Husky" was a 6.5 x 55 Swede!

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I hope you see this. I picked up an address from another site for you to look over. It covers the little problem that you "ran" into. www.ducks.ca/aboutduc/news/conservator/184/flushing.html

This is about "Flushing Bars" to prevent the killing of wildlife by machinery. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Derf,

The link did not work for me. However, the thought is appreciated. Just yesterday I was out scouting and another rabbit just sat there a few yards away from me. I was on foot this time so no pelts went flying.

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yeah, a sickle bar is one evil lookin' piece of hardware...

Toolmaker

While a sickle bar is OK for light work and semi-serious purposes, a boom axe is more powerful and versatile, and thus much more flexible for hunting, since game cannot readily escape into the trees and ditches, and, a wider variety of (larger) game may be taken.

A decent boom axe would easily deal with those pesky fence posts as well.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I would love one of those for clearing puckerbrush along my fences. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It would sure make short work of the chore.

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn man, that looks like the bad 'bot from T4! Run kitties, RUN!!!

Dan's Evil Twin

Proxy Pres., TYHC

www.ChopChunkAnd.Puree

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Eshell, you seem to be familiar with logging equipment, so I have a question for ya... What is that quizmo that's mounted on the end of a hydraulic boom that strips the branches and bark(I think) off? I was thinking what fun one of these could be on a small scale to use on porch panthers

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
TM,

I think that's called a roboharvester or an autoharverstor...

A miniature version would be just the thing for treerats and hare's!!

of course, around the jeffe'house... the rabbits are bigger than my wife's cats... and twice as slow...

you know, they REALLY should cross a liouseville slugger with a hockey stick... brush axe's and slingblades just don't quite have the right ANGLE for running with

jeffe

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
The voices are starting to whisper evil things in my ear.. I can't hear you[inserts fingers in ears], lalalala lalalalala lalalalala

Toolmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Eshell, you seem to be familiar with logging equipment, so I have a question for ya... What is that quizmo that's mounted on the end of a hydraulic boom that strips the branches and bark(I think) off? I was thinking what fun one of these could be on a small scale to use on porch panthers

Toolmaker

Howdy, TM. Sorry, I'm only familiar by osmosis, I have friends in the business.

Jeffe might be right about the terminlogy, though I'd have to think you are talking about a "flail", a form of de-barker. Rapidly flung chains (on a small rotating drum) strip bark and small limbs. Used more in the pulpwood industry, rather than lumber, far as I know.

You might be right, could be just the thing for rapid and effortless hide removal. Though a method of securing the subject might be desirable, to avoid "over-stripping" the little cougar and just winding up with a stained backboard for your efforts. During the off-season, I imagine it could also be used to scale large (6'+) fish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man o man, it took me 4 flipping minutes of mucking about but I fixed the link to Ducks.ca. At least it worked for me!! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this site. Check out the videos and let your imaginations run wild!

Rick

Brown Bronto

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, I'm thinking that the Bronto on the rail car would be just the ticket for inner city locales in places like Detroit. Maybe even those folks that live under the overpasses in boxes could have a bit of Feloin on us?! Already chunked of course. While killing many birds with one stone it occurs that perhaps a surplus B52 would be cheaper to purchase. Not sure about the operating costs though.

On the subject of B52's, I noticed in the paper that a new form of concrete has been introduced that is translucent. What does that do to the concrete bomb theory? Wow, stealth concrete bombs! Dodge that dude!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.BuffsLeaveSome.Tracks

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Translucent concrete,,I threw out a few blocks of that stuff out of the fridge last week I've been looking hard at the vacumn 2000,,Sounds pretty nifty,,jam the hose into the hole,,,flip on the pump switch,,,,then listen for the thump of the carcass hitting the tank Keep Dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
OH, what new and interesting ways there are to rid the world of the cursed Felinus Domesticus

Toolmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Translucent concrete? That's a new one for me. I feel a Google search coming on...

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how well translucent concrete would work for kitty shoes? Regular concrete seems to spook them some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
eshell, I don't know about "shoes", I'd go for a full kitty overcoat! That way, you could see the profile of said porch panther as a shadow. Might be considered a new form of artwork. I wonder if I could get a federal grant for "expanding the arts."

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the way you guys are thinking, but one of my neurons just fired; I vote for "kitty clays". It would be an instant success at replacing "rabbits" in sporting clays courses throughout the land.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Synergy.Energy

one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Clay Kitten shooting

Here, this oughta satisfy yer cravin fer now

Toolmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great minds and all that TM, I had the same thought. Personally I prefer CK2 myself. derf