Find
Notify
Tools

UPS raises rates!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I went to UPS today to ship a package that should have cost about $4, but it was $10.61 instead!!! IT looks like they have made a huge rate increase. I think I'll be visiting the post office from now on.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<ben.>
posted
Lar 45: I can say from personal experience of a
few days ago that UPS much cheaper on a 4x6x8 inch box I shipped to California. I pass a UPS
store on the way to the USPS. I can price a shipment of USPS on the computer. This particular package USPS was Priority mail $17.50
Parcel post $ w/o insur. 14.28. UPS was $9.48
with $100 insurance. Was a 14# small box of bullets. ben.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flat rate priority mail.

I found some cheap tough plastic boxes that will hold 7-8 pounds of bullets. Two can be stuffed into a priority mail envelope and be mailed anywhere in the country for $3.85.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, Do you know about the free priority mail envelope available at the Post Office? It is a little bigger than 8.5 x 11 and if you put a $3.85 stamp on it Uncle sam will take it anywhere in the USA. I just sent about 10# of lead to Montana and some cast bullets somewhere else and it works great. Please check out the cast bullet site at www.aimoo.com regards, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj,

What kind of cheap plastic boxes did you find and where did you find them? I've been looking for something like that to take advantage of the $3.85 rate on the priority mail envelope. I want'ed to make sure the bullets I send don't fall out of the envelope. Thanks! Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turbo, something to think about when using that Flat Rate envelope...

The weak area is the edges (and especially the corners) of the package. When I ship boolits, I reinforce that area with tape. And, loose boolits can bunch up against that part of the envelope and cause it to bust open. I put the boolits in a plastic bag, making it as flat as possible, then wrap it with Bubble Pack, everything taped to keep it in a solid bundle. The wider area prevents concentrating pressures against the edges and corners, and helps prevent "package blowout."

It's surprising how much weight you can get into one of those little boogers. <G> Those Flat Rate envelopes are about the last of the good deals, so let's abuse it while we can! <GGG>

[ 10-20-2003, 03:15: Message edited by: grumble ]

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble, Thanks for the info on the flat rate envelope. I had figured out the need to tape the outside edges. I like your idea of using bubble wrap around a plastic bag to keep the envelope from bursting.

If you are shipping a 1 pound payload, it's an OK deal. Shipping bullets or lead is a real bargain. And to think, they actually give us the envelope for free. :>Wink Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turbo, I found these in a little independent dollar store. Pack of four boxes and lids was a buck. I bought 15 or 20 packs while I could get them. These are about as thick as Tupperware and slightly larger than a military soapbox, maybe 6"x 3.5" x 1.75". Lids are a tight snap on and I add a wrap of tape for insurance.

[ 10-20-2003, 05:27: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj, I was just at a Dollar Store a couple of nights ago. I remember seeing a few Tupperware type of containers. It's good to know that two of them about 1.75 inches thick will fit in the envelope. I'll give them a try. Thanks! Turbo

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
When I dropped off my Alaskan Airlift shipment, the lady at the counter said that I was only allowed one piece of tape across the flap, but it went through anyway. The one I sent the other day was a picture in frame, so It needed a box with padding. It only weighed in at 2lbs. I think I got robbed.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote