New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New Hoch Mould in .585
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new Hoch mold is very well made. It has three guide pins and the machining is the excellent. The handles are a bit larger in diamenter making them nice to hold and the jaws are Cast instead of bent mild steel. I have two moulds from another popular manufacture and I have to tell you that this Hoch mould is superior. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes can attest to the Hoch mould quality.
My one and only is a Richard Hoch original made back in the early 80's and has served me well over the last 30 or more years churning out more than a few 404 cast bullets.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My casting set-up is outside and it has been cold enough lately, to freeze the nuts off a jeep.

As soon as it warms up a bit I will cast a batch and see how it works.

I tested my bullet alloy yesterday for hardness/brittleness. Whacked a .585 bullet on an anvil with a two pound hammer. I hit it hard twice and it squished a bit, but it didn't chip or fracture. A little tin is a good thing.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been casting with my new Hoch mold. I like it! (585 bullet 700 grains.) It does need to be hot as people have told me. My thermometer says 720-750. Bullets are real nice.

It's a nose pour so the base is perfect every time. I seldom have to tap the mold to get the bullets to fall out. This mold is a pleasure to use. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
made another 130 bullets with my hotch mold. (700 grain 585.) It makes a Green Horn like me, look like a pro. I love it. Brian