Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casting bullets using solder 63/37 Tin Lead
 Login/Join

posted
Happened across the large supply of free used solder. I'm going to start doing some bullet casting and I was curious if anybody has used solder before and roughly how does it rate hardness wise and weight Wise compared to a normal bullet alloy? I also have the idea to maybe melt some copper into it to possibly make it harder as anybody done that as well also? Thanks in advance for any advice. I did cast a couple sample slugs and I thought before I did this that they would probably be like a soft swadged hollow-based water cutters but they look and feel like a typical hardcast lead bullet that I would buy.
Stay Safe.

Posts: 24 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 25 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only solder that I ever use is 50/50 bar solder. I use Frank Marshalls recipe of 19.5 Lbs. of wheel weights and .5 Lbs. of 50/50 bar solder.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yes bar solder, new or used, would have way too much tin in it and cast bullets would weigh light. Bullet alloy only needs a small amount of tin to help fluidity of the lead mix which helps fill out the mould.

Lyman #2 mix which is a good all-round casting mix is 90% pure lead, 5% antimony and 5% tin. The antimony along with trace arsenic does the hardening of the mix.

Usually if using clip on wheel weights to make up a #2 alloy (9lb of wheel weights) you use just 1lb of 50/50 bar solder to make up 10lb casting alloy.
Wheel weights on their own are already a mix of lead, antimony and tin, just needing a bit more tin from 50/50 bar solder to make up to 5%.

Posts: 3821 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin is only twice as hard as storebought bullets so I'd imagine it was some hard.

look, man.
don't fall for the I need my bullets harder than wood pecker lips to work thing.

you truly really only need an alloy of 1% tin and 2-3% antimony to do anything those ''hard cast'' bullets will do.

here's a tip.
the alloy I quoted above is about 12 BHN.
the 'hardcast' bullets they are trying to sell you are 15 BHN.
the 5-5 alloy mentioned above is also 15 BHN.

so what is 3 BHN gonna get you?
yeah,, less money in your pocket.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Eagle, you are correct on the Lyman # 2 recipe, 9 lbs. W W to 1 lb. of 50/50. I also use lead solder + have in my business for the last 40 years + I will tell you that if you want an accurate weight, go with roll solder; the bar is never exactly 1 lb., usually a bit over, sometimes under. Moot point though as it gets you close + I keep quite a bit of linotype to add if needed. I have a Saeco hardness tester + it tells me when I'm right on the Brinell hardness mark that I want to be.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bstogsdill--Over 55 years ago when I wanted to start reloading and casting, I read the Lyman Manual. It gave exact amounts to add to wheelweights. You"re going to use an unknown for 90% of your mixture and 10% exact and come out with an exact??? I didn't buy that. I have used wheel weights and if I needed something harder--I didn't know it as I don't have a hardness tester. It aint rocket science--no need to try and make it that way._

Posts: 3795 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
99.9% of the bullets I cast are used for close range pistol practice.

I throw what ever is handy into then pot mostly wheel weights.

That works well for the intended purpose.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because of the tin content that solder is way too precious to use as is. I would look for some scrap lead (good luck) and cut it to about a 1:20 lead/tin mix.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Randy: tell 'em about the cost of solder.

Best and cheapest, less hassle is pick pellets from the range berms and just reuse that.

The last shooters went thru all the hassles of making the mixture hard. Why fight that same battle everytime???

IF it can't be marked with a thumb nail, that's good enough for pistol bullets. Any that is fairly easy just goes into the 'soft lead" crate for M/L shooting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
George, I don't know the current price as I usually buy it by the case + have not needed to reorder in the last 2 years. (says something about the economy,right?) I will say that 10 years ago I was paying approx. $5.00 a lb. + 2 years ago it was approx. $15.00 a lb. But then ANYTHING metal related these days are going for a premium, if you can get it at all.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You didn’t say what you were shooting these bullets in. Unless you are going for top velocity in rifles of 30 caliber or less you don’t really need really hard bullets. And… really high velocity and accuracy with cast bullets is difficult to achieve.
For pistol and medium caliber and larger rifles softer bullets work better.
The tin you have there is valuable, and is necessary only in small quantities, so conserve it.

Posts: 3 | Location: NW Florida  | Registered: 06 January 2022Reply With Quote