THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    adding Shooter's Cast Bullet Archive to this site?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

adding Shooter's Cast Bullet Archive to this site?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted
This might be a naiive idea, but has anybody looked into the possibility of adding the archive somebody made on a CD of the Cast Bullet Forum on Shooter here?

This archival material is a tremendous source of knowledge, and being able to search it online here would sure be great!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LostCajun made the archive. Just bookmark it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a link to it handy?

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Great!

Thanks from me as well!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for having the insight to save it & bringing it back to us now. It was like visiting an old friend. If money is required to maintain it, let me know where to send the cheque. To anyone new to casting,read lots of it, it's the best source of info you'll find. Listening over the shoulders of some of the most knowledgeable people in the sport for 2 yrs. sure does give one a pretty steep learning curve. Ron.D

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I was never a part of Shooters so I didn't know anything about it. I started going through the archive that was posted and reading. I'm not even .001" through it and have already learned tremendous amounts. You guys are amazing - the amount of information is over-whelming. Just had to let ya'll know...

Brandon

Posts: 28 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
There's more than just the Cast Bullet board. I retrieved 8 other boards from Shooters.com also. See the link for the main index.
Shooters.com Archive

Hmm.. now that I look at it, that may not be in the "right" location on my server. (The link will work; I'm just wondering which hard drive the data is on in my server.) If I change anything, I'll post the new URL here, and will also try to keep the old links working.
As for incorporating it into the Accurate Reloading site, that's more Saeed's call. It would definitely be a better place, being on a "real" rather than a home server, but it's up to our host whether he has the space, means, and time to add it in. I have the information, and will gladly make it available for anyone who wants it, but can't dictate to anyone where else it should go. Ditto the above for Castpics.net.
I also looked into adding a search engine, but it didn't work. I must not have all the support programs installed and/or enabled. I want to upgrade to the latest version of Slackware; when I do that I'll look into making sure the search engine works then. I'm not very comfortable making changes like that on a working server when so many people are using it.
Enjoy
LostCajun

Posts: 47 | Location: Gretna, LA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for that work Cajun!

btw, the Reloading:AmmoZipFiles are not there; could you fix that?
thanks in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gil,
My bad... they ARE missing, aren't they? I'll get them there soon as I can.
Sorry for the delay... been out of town.
LC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lost Cajun - i believe you told us once how to save these to disc. Would you remind repeating the instructions? I have the cast bullet archives trough various nefarious means, but not the other boards.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Waksupi, do you mean like "left click" on "M1911 Zip Files", then on the new page "right click" the links and " save target as" ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gil,
The Reloading:Ammo files are now there.
Yes, you Right-Click, and Save Target As

Waksupi,
Probably the easiest way to download the files is to retrieve the Zip files, accessible from the main index. I'll use the Reloading:Ammo archive as an example.
First, create a new directory called "RldAmmo" and unzip the "RldAmmoIDX.zip" file into this directory
Then, expand each of the numbered RldAmmo Zip file into its own directory. There will be 4 in all: "RldAmmo0001", "RldAmmo0501", "RldAmmo1001", and "RldAmmo1501"
After that, all you need to do is to open the "RldAmmo\index.htm" to get access to the Reloading:Ammuniton archive.

The process is the same with any of the other archives. You can put each archive's main directory at the same level as the RldAmmo one. If you do, you can download the "mainIDX.zip" file from http://urugami.homelinux.net/shooterscaps/mainIDX.htm
unzip it into this top directory, and have your own local copy of the archives.
Sounds more confusing that it is; there's just a lot of directories and files to keep separate.
Let me know if you have any problems.
LostCajun

posted Hide Post
Thanks Cajun! And don't worry about delays, I would miss the whole thing without you ! [Smile]

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I've got to come back tomorrow, when I can see straight, [Wink] and do this!

Thanks LostCajun!

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
Lost Cajun,

Just downloaded the crap out of all your files there and would just like to thank you for all your work involved to do this.

Blasted right through with the trusty cable modem.

Just want to also state to hit the "cache" button when searching through a search engine like google and the shooters talk links come up. Found a lot of good info that way lately.

LC, I've sent you a PM.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone checked, recently, say within the last month on the corporate status of
Allvertical, whether there has been a bankruptcy, receivership, dissolution, merger,
winding up, or anything done with the corporation? All those archives Lost Cajun didn’t
capture might be somewhere. If we could find where the Allvertical assets are and who
controls them it could be a start.

<Headstamp>
posted
Wills,

As I stated before, on google, simply hitting the cache button instead of the link and most of the pages are still there. It would be near impossible to collect all of them though for a database.

Regards

[ 11-01-2003, 08:11: Message edited by: Headstamp ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about attempting to locate the successor to all vertical and acquire the archives?