Find
Notify
Tools

45 gr .224 mold
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Does anyone make a 45 gr .22 mold? With .22 rimfire being scarce...thinking of casting some bullets for .22 Hornet and just loading to .22 LR velocity.

All I have found are 55 gr molds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36367 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I just checked Accurate Molds. The smallest they make are 270 cal.
Iirc Lee has a .224 mold . but I'm not sure what weight.
I know Nosler has some really light 22 jacketed bullets @ the Shooters Pro Shop.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
https://www.shootersproshop.co...oint-blem-100ct.html

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Lee and RCBS’s are 55 gr

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36367 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The above said 11 were in stock when I started ordering when I went to pay out...out of stock! Frowner

I really am looking more for long term anyway with a mold.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I started with the 22 Hornet and a little 40gn plain based bullet from MP molds.

Bad Ass Wallace says MP - Molds makes one...but I can’t find it on their site.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Lyman 225438 won't get you in that ballpark weight?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Lyman 225438 won't get you in that ballpark weight?

True! 44gr

Just backordered like every else to do with shooting.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just about everything is out of stock these days. My Lyman mould after the GC weighs out at 62G.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check NOE and Arsenal.
I know arsenal has a plain base 22 cal mold that comes in at 38grs.
it was designed for the 218 BEE, but does just fine in the 223 at 1200 fps.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Found a used 37 gr NOE mold. Fixing to give her a whirl.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
If you want a plain base bullet, you could buy the 55 grain Lee mold and have the top of the mold milled off to remove the gas check section. I bet the resultant bullet would weigh right at 45-46 grains.

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45 gr RN lyman plain base that I got back in the late 60's.

I shoot them out of my hornet at 1100fps.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lane?

How did it work out?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Hey Lane?

How did it work out?

George

Inquiring minds want to know...I'm nibbling at the idea of turning some brass centerfire 22 cases and chambering a liner for them.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I bought a mold here a month or so ago. I like it, took about two weeks for custom made and they do show a 45 gn.

https://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds

If locating .22 rimfire is still a problem these guys did right by me. I got some hard to find 28 gage shells from them and decided to grab some .22 while I was at it.

https://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/22-long-rifle

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I bought a NOE 3 cavity brass mold with a FP 45 Gr .225. The bullets shoot real well in my hornet... still working out seating depth and some minor tweeks... using 2400 powder, 50 yrds is good enough for squirrel heads!
and it carries to 100 yds pretty well, too.
I say do it!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1065 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs such a mould, I have one made by Lyman that casts a 45 grain .225" diameter gas checked spitzer bullet originally made for the .22 Hornet.

I also have about 1,000 or so .225 caliber gas checks.

I can provide more details and can let these go for a good price, as I have owned them for a very long time and have never used nor have any need for them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote