Find
Notify
Tools

best 8mm bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi To All & Thanks in Advance!

Which bullet would you recommend for loading and feeding thru 8mm mauser rifles. I really want 2. One plain base around 150 grain for 1000fps plinkers ( U know- fun, accurate,cheap) and then something to approximate the energy of a Star Trek Phaser for steel or real animals.

And what sizer? Some say that Yugo Mausers have larger bores/throats. I haven't slugged mine so I don't know.

Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
For Military Mausers try this link. The bullet has been designed expecially for these rifles but not the Yugo 48.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/so_moulds_8mm_max.asp

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what you have read, the two 8mm bullets at this site were designed for the yugo 48, as it was my rifle that they were cut for. Go into the specs and see who the designers are listed as. The bullets cast about .327 on the bands and fit the yugo like a glove. Dale, if you want some, I will give you enough to try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, this is so. Midsouth had a bad case of the "timids" on the Yugo thing as the bullets required you to crush seat the lead on into the rifling (something that is highly desirable on a target loading in a Yugo M48 or 48A) and Midsouth preferred just to recommend the bullet for the larger standard mauser throated K98's for this reason.

Bob did design the Karabiner specifically to be a target load in his Yugo M48 and I did the trial fittings in my Yugo M48A to prove out both the bullets. They WILL seat on a Yugo 48 or 48A with a target-style crush loading into the rifling with strong engraving. The bullet base can potentially wind up sticking down into the powder a bit on some guns, but we have come to learn this is not a sin with these big heavy slugs -- they shoot fine when loaded into the boilerworks as some have been doing this all along rather than go into the crush-loading scenario.

Unloading the slugs in a crush loaded Yugo might not be so easy to do, as my gun liked to try to keep the bullet if I crush loaded it really well. Midsouth would only recommend bullets for loading uses that were relatively unrestricted and they had a strong "jacketed bullet bias" against crush loading anything into the rifling. So, you see where the recommendations came from.

Cast shooters always load into the rifling if we can possibly do it (for best accuracy) but folks who deal in jackets don't understand that distinction. So, don't tell them what you plan to do with it, just go do it.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote