New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inverted gas checks and chronos don't mix
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I'd been having some problems with plain base bullets leading in my 480 when pushed hard, so used the recomendation of inverting a gas check in the case, and seating the bullet over it. I also had the foresight to cut a small piece of Lexan to put in front of the brains of my shooting chrony, as I feared a stray gas check just might wack it.

However, when I set up at the range, I realized I'd left the tape for attaching the lexan to the chrony in the truck, and I was too lazy to go get it. Shot #7 proved that my foresight was correct, and my haste had damaged the chrony. The .475" gas check at 1550 fps hit the front of the chrony case just hard enough to dent the case ~1/8", and I believe all that was damaged was a lone transistor.

I'll be shipping it to the shooting chrony folks to have it repaired, and to gut the remote brains upgrade.

I figured I'd have to wack my chrony one of these days, not that I have that past me, I can resume load work blissfully [Smile]

[ 03-25-2003, 04:35: Message edited by: Paul H ]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Don't feel like the lone ranger...My shooting chrony model B was one tough bugger, several times it got knocked over by the muzzle blast and came back fighting, it really impressed the heck out of me...as tough as it was though, it just couldn't take a direct hit from one of those plastic muzzle loading sabots...badda-bing. I guess it seperated really close to the muzzle and while the bullet didn't hit the chrony...Anyway, all the chrony company's horse and all of chrony company's men couldn't put chrony back together again....

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the F1 "Paintball."

Sounds like I'm nuts? It is the same as an F1, but w/ a splat guard. Still only $79 or so.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

P: I'd been having some problems with plain base bullets leading in my 480 when pushed hard, so used the recomendation of inverting a gas check in the case, and seating the bullet over it..

F: Yes!

My problems along these lines were worse: It was a very windy day so we shooters set up behind our range building for shelter. One of the fellows even parked his pickup out beyond the building to provide a little more wind break for we shooters. At the end of the session he saw several new "gravel strikes" on the windshield glass and his right front headlight was gone.

This was with the 44/63 Ballard with the IGC behind a 470 grain Mos bullet. Fortunately my house insurance paid for his damages.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, Thanks for another adventures in chronographing story. I never shot my chronograph because it is an Oehler M33 and sits on the bench, though I did drill both screens with a single 255 gr. Hoch form a .358 savage 99. I had set up for an iron sight rifle first and then shot the SCOPED Savage. The difference in height of line of sight was just enough to hit the top edge of both Skyscreens. I have made aluminum blast shields for my screens, not to protect them from errant gas checks, but to avoid measuring the speed of sound again. I clocked five .38 Spl. wadcutters from a 2" Chief's Special at a bit over 1100 fps with an extreme spread of 5 fps. Amazing what 2.7 gr. of Bullseye can do! Regards, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
AH...with Cronies, it's only a matter of time! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I've updated my chrony twice on the generousity of a buddies stray bullet. When they want to shoot across it, I tell them you shoot it you bought it. I was trying some IMR5010 in my 45-70BFR and the unburnt granuals pelted the plastic cover over the display. OOPS! It still works, just doesn't look as good.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And then there was the time my friend Floyd F. was shooting his 30"-barreled .300 Wby 1,000-yard BR gun over my Oehler...

He kept getting mis-readings because he was apparently holding too low. I kept telling him to shoot higher.

Well, apparently he has some form of dyslexia (he IS left-handed, y'know [G]), but anyway his next shot was lower yet...right through the top of the Oehler.

Oddly enough, though taking a direct incoming with a 200 gr. Nosler partition at 3,300 fps (we used an experimental ball powder...98 grains of it), the Oehler still works perfectly!! Managed to miss all those little gutsy things inside, though there is a 4"long "rip" in the top....

AC

[ 03-26-2003, 00:35: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my second Chrony........
 -

Notice any marks on the face [Big Grin]

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest....Reminds me of my younger days. I saw this picture of Elmer Keith shooting a 4" M29 across a car hood. I figured if it was good enough for Elmer, it was good enough for me so I tried it.

One round with 2400 and an hours worth of rubbing to get the black powder burns off dad's 55 Chev made me much wiser./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Several times i have been tempted to put a bullet through my PACT when it is in one of its moods. Figure it is gonna be kinda hard to explain how i punched a hole through it when the "brains" are sitting on the bench beside me.... [Wink]
 -

Guess i could place it on the mounting bar like they do in the pic! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have had the PACT for years and I too use to suffer thru what you describe as "moods." I finally figured out that the jacks for the skyscreens can tarnish and this seems to mess with it's reliability. Polish them and you are back in business. I also notice that the newer screens have chrome plated jacks. Since I discovered this, the moods have gone away.

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Will give that a try, THANKS!! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote