New
Find
Notify
Tools

170 gr Keith .357 bullets in 357 mag and 357 max
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have both pistols and carbines in 357 rem maximum .I have been casting 170 .357 Keith style bullets .I am going to powder coat them .I was wondering if I should use the 357 mag cases and seat then out further or just use the 357 rem maxium cases and seat them deep .I want to hunt deer with these and want to see how good they shoot powder coating them.Has anyone used this bulket ? I heard it's really good in the 357 in pistols and should be way better on the carbines I have one is a 16 inch barrel the other is a 23 inch barrel .I dont know how fast I can push these .I also have some 215 gr Keith .357 bullets yo try .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes. Single best bullet in my 357 pistol shooting youth. Loaded thousands and shot them for everything including steel matches. Very accurate and great hunting bullets like all the Kieth bullets.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had accuracy problems using 357mag casings in my 357max.

The loads in the mag casings would not group worth a dam.

Went to the max casing and they grouped just fine.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My best performance was with the 158G. Keith cast for my model 19 S+W. I must say however that the best use that I have found in the Keith style bullet is the 250 G. in 44 cal. Only my opinion but it's very true.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem getting 2000 fps with a 200 grn horn. in my martini cadet maximum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used that bullet since the late 60's in many different 38's & 357's. Of course it won't work in some 357's because it's too long. For most of my life I've loaded in with heavy charges of 2400 in 38 special cases.
I've also used it in the Ruger 10.5" 357 Maximum on deer with fine success although I've only done it once, then I went to a 180 gr LBT, same results, a little better accuracy. My load with the Keith bullet in the Maximum was a heavy charge of 2400, with the 180 gr LBT I've switched to 4227.

Dick

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
4227 is a good powder. I'm still old school + prefer 2400. Just my own preference. As the old discussion goes, "If you could only have one.".... In regards to powder for me, it would be 2400 for pistol + IMR 4350 for rifle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I loaded them in 38 special brass over blue dot. Great load.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Fury01
In 38 SPL case with Blue Dot?

Pray tell, what might the load data be?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote