New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lube star?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shooting the Bator 200 from my .358, I seem to have a lack of a lube star on the muzzle, even with the grooves completely filled. I am shooting FWFL that is a fairly stiff consistancy, but will still feed through the lubrisizer.

I wonder if I should lower the viscosity of the lube? Accuracy hasn't been what it should be, and wonder if this will help?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi,
I use LBT Blue on my 200...really 232 bator out of my 358 winnie BLR and pushing it relatively hard and still have lube on the muzzle. I don't have a chrony available now, but the blue is getting the job done. It needs to be heated to flow.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have an estimate of velocity, or could you tell me what powder charge you are shooting, so I have an idea? Also, do you know your twist, right off hand?

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ric. I believe the BLR has a 1 in 12" twist. At least that what my .358 Winnie has. I haven't gotten around to shooting cast in that one yet. Too damn many irons in the fire.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Ric, just thin it down some with lanolin and see what happens. Double up on what you entered into the formula up front. If success, and still not enough, then thin some more by doubling up on the oil you used. Driving the lanolin too high will increase the viscosity and you might go overboard. Heck, just play some games and it will eventually work better than you ever hoped for. ... felix

[ 10-22-2003, 03:16: Message edited by: felix ]

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix the LubeMiester - Thanks! I just didn't know the proper thing to thin it with. I've been going through all the pages I've printed out from Shooters reading lube references. I can't believe how thick the pile is, and I sure didn't print everything. Someday i may carry through with my threats, and organize all the info into book form, and shamelessly plagerize all the Leadheads good research.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check it out fellers. Mrs Felix is an A-1 photographer! The picture is of a single shot I acquired. It will, of course, shoot WAY better than I can. Thought y'all would like the pic. sundog

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/lube_star/lubestar.html

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shot of the lube star. I shot my Krag a couple days ago, and I had no sign of a lube star with it, either. And this was with loads I loaded about a year ago, that I distinctly remember having a good lube star. I'm wondering if the very dry climate here is having an effect? Weird. No leading in anything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi,
Sorry for delay, twist is 1-12 and velocity of my loads is estimated at about 1850 FPS, but I can't measure as my chrony went to the big range in the sky.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote