Find
Notify
Tools

Who's got 474 cast bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I'd appreciate any information on locating someone who has or can make some plinking bullets for a 470 Nitro. Bullet diameter is .474 and I tried some .475 jacketed pistol bullets. Didn't really like having to close the breech so forcefully - even the .001 difference was noticeable. I'm looking for something in the 300-400 grain range, probably with a gas check. My knowledge of bullet casting is truly remarkable just because it is so non-existent. So I'm really open to suggestion.

RCBS makes a 400 grain mold in the .475 size - can that be sized down perhaps? What do I need besides my presses? I have an old rockchucker and a new, large lyman that was needed to handle the length of the 470 loaded rounds. Could someone buy some of these oversize bullets and swage them down for me? Ideas?  -

I sure enjoy my double rifle, but would enjoy it a lot more if I could practice at less than $1 per bullet!

Thanks!

Posts: 729 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some sized to .476 for the linebaugh that you could try. Im sure a machinist could take a .452 lee push through sizer and open it up to the right size for you and you could then use your reloading press to size them down to the size your looking for.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ps if you contact lee precission Im sure they would make you a custom sizer to the proper dimensions.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
i have some to if Lloyd does not have what you need, sized .476---how heavy do you need,how hard -rcbs has a good mould for the 470 NE-400 gr?

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I cast a 460 gr gc bullet that should be near perfect for the 470. The only downside is my sizer is .476". The mention of having lee make you a custom .474" sizer is a great idea, as you can run any commercial cast bullet through it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. I'll follow up on the offers - appreciate it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote