New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANTIMONY
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have some 2 lb pure antimony ingots which i want to mix in with my lead...i have got the RCBS casting pot...
any ideas or procedure i should follow
Daniel

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not done this. Antimony has a very high melting point, 1167 deg.F. According to an old NRA Cast Bullet book: "pulverize the antimony, melt it by special means and mix in an equal amount of lead. The resulting alloy melts at a lower temperature than antimony itself, and its use to harden a larger quantity of lead is within the capability of the ordinary bullet casting furnace."
Sounds like a lot of work.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yup. While Antimony is very useful in Cast bullets, it is very hard for the home caster to successfully "alloy" with it. Better to buy an ingot of "hardball" from Rotometals which has the Antimony pre-alloyed and use that to mix.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I have not done this. Antimony has a very high melting point, 1167 deg.F. According to an old NRA Cast Bullet book: "pulverize the antimony, melt it by special means and mix in an equal amount of lead. The resulting alloy melts at a lower temperature than antimony itself, and its use to harden a larger quantity of lead is within the capability of the ordinary bullet casting furnace."
Sounds like a lot of work.
C.G.B.

This is correct. The alloy of equal parts antimony and lead is what one gets with the recommended procedure for handling straight --that, is pulverize the antimony, melt it by some special means, and mix in equal amount of lead. The resulting alloy melts at a lower temperature then antimony itself, and its use t o harden a larger quantity of lead is within the capability of the ordinary bullet casting furnace.

He copied it from the NRA Cast Bullets book encase you wonder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input , much appreciated

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
It would be easier to find some babbit alloy or newer pewter, both have a fair amount of antimony. Good luck.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
It would be easier to find some babbit alloy or newer pewter, both have a fair amount of antimony. Good luck.

Roto Metals is the place to get that.