New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets and Moly
 Login/Join

<dfaugh>
posted
Anyone out there moly-coating cast bullets? I want to start casting, but I would like to use the (Rifle) bullets at velocities approaching jacketed bullet loads(at least 2300 fps)... They would be fairly hard alloy...Any one have experience with molycoating? Does it help reduce leading? Any info greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfaugh:
Anyone out there moly-coating cast bullets? I want to start casting, but I would like to use the (Rifle) bullets at velocities approaching jacketed bullet loads(at least 2300 fps)... They would be fairly hard alloy...Any one have experience with molycoating? Does it help reduce leading? Any info greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

I've done alot of moly experimenting and you don't need moly to make 2300 in a decent bore. Your making the assumption leading comes about from bullet to bore contact- and that's for the most part not correct. You still have to provide some sort of gas seal with a mc'd bullet-- usually conventional lube in the grooves. Or- have a well fitted bullet and use a case filler.

Some BR cast shooters opinion moly degrades accuracy and some say it helps mostly with score shooting-- the moly leaving a distinct blk outline per bullet impact.

The only value I saw with moly was at the extreme end of cast speeds, in my case pushing a 170 at over 2700 in an 06. And I think the added lubrication helped due to the fact the barrel was of factory Q and coupled with Bf case filler all the leading deposited with each shot was blow out by the filler- which was moly coated too.

I do load a friend's 45/70 with Blue Dot and 340 Lee's only mc'd sans lube in the grooves- Bf filler for the seal. Load makes 1200 and is comfortable shooting. Nice shortcut if a guy doesn't have a luber-sizer.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote