New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet mold question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What caliber would a RCBS 474-515-FN and 468-475-FN bullet mold be for? Bought a bunch of molds from the Bob Hayley estate and these were in the sale. I've looked online but so far have been unable to find what caliber rifle they would be for. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
All my RCBS molds list caliber first then weight, and type last. (SP,FN,GC, etc). I've never heard of the molds you listed.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
470 N.E. And a few others use a .474 caliber bullet. 500/465 N.E. and 465 H&H Belted Mag use a
.468 caliber bullet.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 468 mould could be for the Martini Henry 450/577.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to know what he actually used them for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Hayley was in Seymour Texas and his claim to fame was a bullet called Hayley Man-Stopper. These molds were in his estate auction along with a several hundred more. Thanks to my wife, I missed buying the Man-Stopper molds but got a hundred or more molds of different calibers. These and others I got look new. Someone in DFW is selling some of his molds and dies on ebay; I am too but will take a month or more to ID the molds and get them listed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .468 is on the left and .474 on the right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 468 could have easily been used for an oversized trapdoor 45-70 rifle.

see what you do is you fit the bullet to the gun, not just use whatever you think the gun should have.
that's how cast bullets work.

Posts: 4960 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote