New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 30 cal 180 GN FNGC ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to ask for use opinion and experience of this bullet ?? Im considering trying hard cast bullets in my .308 for hunting.........

I started casting last year for my .444 with the Lee 310 bullet and have had excellant results and great fun [Smile] into the bargin !

I've been looking at the RCBS 180 gn FN and the Lyman 173 gn FN, i like the large lube grooves and flat nose on the RCBS which tipped the balence in its favour.....

Any views ????

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 180 gr fp RCBS and shoot it in 30-30, 308, and 30-06. It groups well and it is easy to cast with. I have only shot paper with it and would prefer a softer alloy to allow some expansion before hunting deer-sized game with it. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Lee 170 FNGC at 2250 for deer. Water quench wheel weights. I believe you have a good working range of around 160 yards with this load for deer, as far as deer size game goes. That covers 99% of my deer hunting. Works just fine!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hunting experience with this bullet, but it has a tremendous reputation for accuracy, so hitting should be no problem. Every year at our Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, duke, shooting this RCBS bullet out of his 03A3 Springfield, is either in first or second place in the iron sight class.

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use both, both are outstanding moulds and both will kill deer easily if pushed in the 1700-2100fps range. The caliber that you will be shooting will dictate which bullet is better for you. The Lyman bullet has less bullet in the neck and thus I think better for shorternecked rounds such as the 308, 300Whisper, 30 Herret and the like. This way the base of the bullet doesn't extend beyond the base of the neck into the powder space.
The RCBS bullet is better in longer necked rounds such as the 30-30, 30-40, 308 Bellm and 30-06. Both bullets are winners though and if I could only pick one, I'd take the Lyman because it's shorter body is more versatile in more calibers. By the way, I use water dropped wheelweights for hunting and they shoot good with minimal leading when lube with LBT blue or alox if you don't have blue. They do expand if they hit heavy muscle or bone, but I only know that from exit wound size- never recovered one yet.

regards,
Graycg@aol.com

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote