New
Find
Notify
Tools

BULLETS AGEING
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'M LEARNING THINGS STILL. TELL ME MORE ABOUT HOW CAST BULLETS SOFTEN,TARNISH, OXIDIZE PLEASE. I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THEY DID MUCH OF THAT.I CAST A LOT OF 150 GR. .38 CALIBER SWC BULLETS OUT OF RANGE LEAD AND I'M WONDERING HOW LONG THEY WILL BE GOOD. ANY AND ALL INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to have them tarnish or oxidize, after casting, dip them in soapy water, and let dry. The soap film will protect them.

Bullets harden for about a month after they are cast, and then loose a bit of hardness until stabilizing at a more or less even point.

For a .38 special, or any other pistol caliber, go ahead and cast as many as you want. They will still be good six days after the secound coming of Christ.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For good answers to this sort of questions, e-mail

alloybulletsmith@theriver.com

That's Bill Ferguson, a metalurgist who specializes in lead alloys for cast bullet shooting, and a very nice guy. As he is now well into his 70's, Bill has been putzing with lead alloys longer than most of us have lived. He also has some graduate degrees from some very fancy upscale universities.

Basically, the answer differs acording to whether the alloy you are casting is a "tin/lead" alloy, or an "antimony/lead" alloy. Alloys which contain both such as linotype are usually considered "antimony" alloys as they usually have quite a bit more antimony than tin. Linotype, for instance has 12% antimony, and 4% tin, 84% lead.

Some Alloys soften after casting, some harden.

Bill can tell you the scoop on whatever alloy you happen to be using. Tell him "Jose" sent you...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote