Find
Notify
Tools

38 special CAS load?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Does anyone have a good 38 special Cowboy load? I'm looking for maximum rounds per pound with modest velocity and reasonable performance from a pistol and rifle. I was looking at some W231 data, but I'm wondering if a flake powder would work better? Like maybe unique? I picked up a Lee 6 cav 358-158RF mold and will be useing it.
I picked up 2000rnds of 38special range brass on ebay and have it sorted by make, but I'm wondering if it is really necesary for this application.
I"ll also be takeing a pile of ammo to our family reunion this summer for a Cowboy shoot.
Thoughts?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about cowboy loads but I've used 4.8 of 231 for 885 fps. 6.5 of 231 gave me 1130 fps. 5.9 of Unique gave me 1035 fps. These were using .357 brass, 158 LRN, shot out of a Ruger Security Six. I used these loads for plate shooting, I don't know if you as much punch for cowboy shoots.

Posts: 36 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar 45, I saw your post about the .38 cowboy loads. It is pretty hard to beat W231 or Alliant Bullseye for 800 fps loads in the .38 special. The very best of the flake type powders for reduced loads in the big empty revolver cases has proven to be Green Dot in my experiments. I started using Green Dot in the .45 Long Colt and have since used it in everything else. It is very bulky per weight and gives more consistent velocity than anything else I've tried. Please give us a report on that Lee 158 gr. flat nose bullet, I've been eyeballing that design also for our Marlin 94 .357, and several .38 revolvers.

Regards from Nevada duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hiya, Duke--missed ya at NCBS this year, and I hope all is going well.

A load I've used for a lot of years on a lot of game is 4.4 grains of Unique under the Lyman #358477 (150 grain SWC). Accurate as can be with this boolit and with 158 grainers of all descriptions. Velocity runs about 825-850 FPS.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I wanted to settle on one powder for all of my CAS loading, .38, 45colt & 12ga. I decided on RedDot. It's economical in 4# cans, over 1000rds /# for the pistols.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 4-4.5gr of tite group in a 38 case with your new Lee 158 cowboy bullet. I have never found a more accurate load out to 100yd rams in silly wet rams in any of my three .357 pistols, 10in contender, BF falling block, and 8 3/8 S&W 586. That load will shoot close to one hole groups off a rest at 25yds on any given day but if you try to load any faster with that bullet it just won't work, at least not for me. Go figure.
Pb head

Posts: 31 | Location: western Pa | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Al, it is very good to hear from you. I really missed you and Buckshot, Ammohead, Bruce B and all the others, but this year just did not work out. Did Curmudgeon tell you about our experiments with the Czech-O-matics? Three of us have these things and are having great fun with them, and I have to tell you that you are our hero for pioneering the early experiments with the wierd European .30 caliber handguns. It is pretty easy now with the Starline 7.62 by 25mm brass, and the Hornady .308 bullets.

Maybe we should start another thread here so as not to bore the other inhabitants. It seems that I have been excluded from posting on the Aimoo boards, so I can only be reached here. Email is: cdukatz@sbcglobal.net.

My very best regards to you and your lady, Nevada duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was using 4.2gr of Unique and Lee's 158gr RFP for my wife's 38s. I bought an 6lb can of Surplus AA#2 for $9/lb a few months ago and am using 5.0gr for 950ish fps. I'm going to reduce for 8-850 on the next batch. I'm also using it in my 45LCs. You can't beat the surplus stuff for economy. I haven't shot it for accuracy but it serves the purpose of ringing those huge SASS plates at 15 yds just fine. I don't shoot any of the long range side matches.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about giveing W231 or Ramshot Zip a try, but I remember reading an article about how flake powders get caught up in the turbulence from the primer and make for a more consistent ignition with small charges. I do have a 1/4 can of WAP left over from loading a friends 40 S&W. I may try it to just get it burnt up and used as I don't think I'll ever use it for anything else.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I understand that CAS shooting has some maximum acceptable velocities that would be considered low for other uses. I know that Unique will do this for a wide variety of cartridges as will W231/HP38.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'd like to stay in the 600fps range and have the same load going around 750 or less from the Rossi rifle.