New
Find
Notify
Tools

PMC Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wondering if anyone has used the new PMC primers yet. Curious about their fit, performance, and mostly cost.

Joe

<stans>
posted
I would not base my decision on purchasing primers on cost alone. Cheap primers that don't go "bang" or are inconsistant represent a very poor value. Personally, I have used CCI and Winchester primers. I usually prefer the Winchesters.

posted Hide Post
Starmetal,
I haven't tried any myself but if these are the Russian primers, I've heard nothing but praise for them.
The Arizona shoters have been using them for over a year now. Feedback I've received is they are on par or better than Federal match(?) primers. And cheaper!
Also supposed to be getting their act together and bringing in some berdan for those impossible calibers. FWIW DaveP

Posts: 12 | Location: Hodgenville, KY | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Dave, I don't think the PMC are the Russian primers, but Korean or somewhere else over in that part of the world. The Russian primers are the best to date in terms of consistency whenever you can find them. There are experiments going on in the BR arena now, whether to use Berdan or Boxer. Berdan is tending to be better because of the smaller holes in the brass, but this is using the easy to ignite powders now favored in BR work. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree with Felix that the PMC primers are most likely not Russian. PMC is a Korean company and they have a plant in I believe El Dorado NV. For all we know at the moment these primers may be made for PMC by an american company. I haven't seen them in my area yet and was wondering how the shooters that have used them like them.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was PMC who - as the only company - recently imported a batch of Russian primers. More details on Gunboards.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think PMC stand for Pan Metals Corporation or maybe Pan Metalic Corporation, something like that. Pretty sure it's Korean...Gary D.

Posts: 56 | Location: Western Washington, USA | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but everybody has an imporation corporation, and sometimes with the same name. Actually, by law on the tax books but not necessairly on top management personnel, two companies. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PMC:
See this website for a brief synopsis.
http://www.pmcammo.com/pmc/faq.html#3
Primers, standard,non-toxic(Russian) and berdan(Russian):
http://www.pmcammo.com/pmc/newproducts04.htm
History:
http://www.pmcammo.com/pmc/history.html
FWIW DaveP

Posts: 12 | Location: Hodgenville, KY | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary D.:
I think PMC stand for Pan Metals Corporation or maybe Pan Metalic Corporation, something like that. Pretty sure it's Korean...Gary D.

I looked at a box of PMC ammunition I had and the name of the company is Precision Made Cartridges.

Posts: 56 | Location: fallon, nv. | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you've got just initials to play with, there are a lot of options to play with, cording to the market. PMC has had a whole lot of interpretations over the years. I think they started in Korea as Pusan Military (or Metals) Corporation. Like the old three-cylinder, 2-cycle DKW autos from around 1950. I've seen Deutsche Karosserie-Werke, Das Kleine Wunder, Des Knaben Wunsch, etc. Why DKW? Last week, we were welding up an old trailer frame to carry our hit-'n'-miss gas engines to shows, and somebody mentioned that the wheels didn't look like anything else he'd ever seen. I scrubbed up one of the rusty, battered hubcaps, and it said "DKW", big as life. No-one else in the club had even heard of DKW's. No wheel-weights, so off-topic - sorry! floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad bought a little DKW car for my sister, circa 1960-61. 3 cylinder two-stroke, front wheel drive. Fun little car! They were explaining it as "Das Kleine Wunder" then.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The box of 5000 SP PMC primers I have is labled "Made in Russia." I got them to try based on the recommendations of those who know more than I.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to close the loop on DKW, they were founded in 1919, and at that time, the initials stood for "Dampf Kraft Wagen", i.e, "steam-power vehicles". Their two-stroke bikes were the terror of the motorcycle racing world in the 1930's, using two power cylinders and a third "pumper" cylinder for super-superchaging. They ended up in the East Zone and made bikes into the 1960's under ythe mname MZ. The autos later merged with the Auto-Union line. Check "DKW" on Google for much more info.
floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
The www.castingstuff.com primer test page has been updated with the new Russian primers.

A special thanks to G Lucas for providing them.
Gus

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote