New
Find
Notify
Tools

WC-820 in .357 Max
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With Lar's 6 holer 180 GC due in any day and a Lyman 210 GC on hand, I'm looking for WC-820 or AA-9 data. If all else fails, I'll work on the assumption that the starting load for H-110 is about a top load for WC-820, cut that 10% and work up.

Anyone got any better ideas? Data? Comments?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I will start by saying the Hornady manual says watch for pressure with H110 loads in hot weather with the MAX . . . True for WC-820 also , at least my batch!

My batch of WC-820 compares 1 for 1 with H110 (shot side by side over a chronorgaph).

The newer WC-820s seem to compare more with AA#9 from what I read.

Your plan should work.

I can NOT wait for that 6 holer to show up in the mail. I have a 3 pound can of 1 pound ingots that have been picked JUST to make into pills to shoot out of the various styles and types of 357 Mags and Maxs. I figure it will take several pounds of lead to get some ideas of which Mag or Max likes what load.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they all liked one load!

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a home fudged WC820 powder profile for Quickload that works well for 44mag, 45 colt and 454. I haven't tried it in 357's yet, but Dan has my guess on WC820 and said that the profile was slow for what he loaded in his 357mag ie the powder was faster in the 357 loads.

With my profile from Quickload in the 357max and the 180 GC at .71" COL 1.99" from a 10" bbl
22gns WC820 shows 1870fps and 46ksi. I would try backing off 4 grains from there and trying. My lot of WC820 uses 2gns less than 296 for similar velocities in the 44 and 454 loads. Quickload doesn't have AA9 in it.

The Gal at the post office had a good time putting postage on all the boxs. I wheeled them in on a hand cart and we setup production on her counter. I stamped the boxs while she printed the postage.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WC 820 is 13% faster than H-110.

Posts: 140 | Location: Fairmount GA USA | Registered: 17 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
GCC, there's a lot of reported variation in WC820. I've got a pulldown batch that empirically looks like a very close match for AA#9 in .44 Magnum, but others have reported that theirs really does match H110 or W296 ballistically.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my lots of WC820 load at AA9 specs. I use quite a bit of it in a lot of different cases. At one time I had a 10 inch contender .357 Max. It loved 17gr WC820 with the 200gr RCBS GC. One hole groups at 50yd off a bench with 7x scope. I traded that bbl for a 32-20 bbl. That one shoots as good with 9-9.5gr of WC820 with either RCBS 165 SIL or Lyman 311644 190 gr. These loads have proven safe in my guns with my lots of powder with no signs of exsessive pressure but start lower and work up you may have a faster lot. There is also a WC820f that loads a little faster then AA7 for me. I can't wait to get my mould and try it in a .357 BF falling block.
Pb head

Posts: 31 | Location: western Pa | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj,

The Complete Reloading Manual for the Thompson/Center Contender (2nd Edition) lists the following loads for the 357 Maximum using AA#9 powder and the 190 grain lead bullet�start @ 17.1 grains and maximum @ 18.0 grains. And for the 210 grain lead bullet�start @ 16.2 grains and maximum @ 17.0 grains.

They list AA#1680 also as a preferred powder which is �the same� as my WC-680 powder. That powder might be worth a try if you have some of it handy.

Regardless, my particular lot of WC-820 is 47320 and it is right at AA#9 burn rate in my 357 Magnums and 44 Magnums. There is NO WAY I could load it using H-110 data!!! Good-luck�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that it's the WC-820(f) that's 13% faster than H-110. I have some of that, too.

I've been using WC-680 with the 210 GC and with 200 grain yeller bullets. My lot seems to be a bit slow for 180 grain bullets. AA 5744 gives excellent accuracy and decent velocity, but I'm out of the surplus I bought in the long ago, and reluctant to pay $20 a pound for stuff I once bought a case of for $25.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Hail oh fellow Virginian,

I know you posted elsewhere but I can't find it, just where do you get your surplus powders? Thanks.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Hobie, you might email or PM me before you make an order. Due to the HAZMAT charge, it's a good idea to order mixed full cases and that's easier with several people sharing. Vance and I are close enough to drive over for a visit and to split a case. Let us know if it looks like you are gonna come up a few jugs short of a full case.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

a few jugs short of a full case.

Most of us could be described that way from time to time...

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj,

Thanks for the info and kind offer. I most certainly will let you fellows know and I might even be happy to drive to your side if it suits better. I don't mind getting out and about.

It is unfortunate that I've been so described
Quote:

...a few jugs short of a full case.

just this morning by a friend who happened to drive by while I was out with the dog! Now I can at least imagine that THIS is what he was referring to!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote