Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Know What This Belongs Too
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellows,
I know this is a gun oiler but I was wondering if any of you could tell me what gun it went with. A little history is I found it in my dads junk collection and he wasn't a very knowledgeable gun person although he was a hunter and plinker. I know for a fact it's over 56 yrs old and beyond.
Thanks for you help.
Joe
 -
 -
 -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, forgot this pic:

-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grrrrrrrrr, I'll get it right this time I hope. This is the pic missing:
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of similar oilers of that vintage. Some went with sewing machines.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRK - I think you are correct. The thing looks familiar but I can't connect it with a gun either and I think if it went with some military rifle or kit there would be SOME sort of military marking on the thing.

My guess is a little tin of fine machine oil for guns, reels and sewing machines.

Which is not to say it doesn't have collector value! Looks like it's in good shape. I bet you can find it in some book of collectable things.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an oil can that is the spittin image of yours except it is marked SHAKESPEAR CO.

When I was a child,fishermen carried them in their tackle boxes to oil their bait casting reels.I have also seen similiar oil cans in old sewing machine drawers.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for "oil can" on e-bay. You'll find a bunch looking just like it. Seems nobody there knows for sure what they were for either. Guns, reels, sewing machines, watch/clock, etc. Looks like tin? Throw 'er in the pot! No, actually one seller on e-bay is suggesting it may be silver. Regards, WOody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one just like it that came with an old 16mm movie projector.

BH

Posts: 48 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote