New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.5x57 MS with Lyman 375167
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tried some of the cast Lyman 375167 in the Mannlicher Schoenauer today. Did not have very good results. They are cast from 1# monotype to 2# lead for a Bhn of about 14-15. This is a plain bottom bullet of about 273gr. I sized them to 0.377" (about 1-1/2 thousandth over bore size) and lubed them with Tamarack lube (50% beeswax and 50% Alox).

I shot some with IMR4064 powder starting at 38.0gr and going up to 45.0gr. I shot some jacketed before going to the cast and the gun was shooting well. The 38.0gr cast was a little worse than jacketed, but not too bad. 40.0gr was noticeably worse. I ended up shooting at the berm after than since I could not keep it on the paper. I checked the bore after each shot and did not see any leading. When I got home, I cleaned it up and did not find any flecks of silver on the patches either. I don't think that leading was the problem.

The velocity at 38.0gr was just under 1,900fps. When it started spraying, I quit shooting through the chrono, so I don't know what velocity it got to. I am thinking of working down from 38.0gr and seeing if I can get a good group. Any other suggestions for the next test?

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loaded up some more from 38.0gr down to 35.0gr of IMR4064. The accuracy got better the lower I went. At 35.0gr, the velocity was just barely over 1,800fps and wthe accuracy was nearly the same as what I have gotten with jacketed bullets.

Looking back, it looks like the accuracy is OK at 1,800fps, is declining seriously by 1,900fps, and is nonexistent at 2,000fps. I think I will try heat treating some bullets and see how they work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Loaded up some more from 38.0gr down to 35.0gr of IMR4064. The accuracy got better the lower I went. At 35.0gr, the velocity was just barely over 1,800fps and wthe accuracy was nearly the same as what I have gotten with jacketed bullets."

......You should be gratefull you got good accuracy at 1800 fps with this PB boolit. I do not believe making it harder is the answer, unless you just want a harder boolit. I doubt you'll see any appreciable accuracy improvement As the pressure increase required to see another 100 fps makes any BHN increase fade to comparative insignificance.

You'll need to make a fundamental change to the boolit or your load. Easiest would be to merely switch to a GC design. Otherwise, using the current PB design, if the boolit base position within the caseneck allows it, I would add an LDPE wad or an upside down GC. Then start back at 35.0grs of IMR4064 and work back up.

If the seating depth precludes the use of a wad, then we're either back to a GC design or possibly switching to a slower powder. But I don't hold out much hope for the later.

............Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have already checked and did not find a suitable gascheck design. Most bullets in this diameter are made for the 38-55. They won't work. Even this bullet is not perfect. The front lube groove has to be placed outside (forward) of the neck.

I had not thought of placing a gas check upside down, though. I understood from Veral Smith's book that at least part of the reason for a gas check was to act like a wrench, gripping the bullet and the rifling. Do you use glue to keep it in place until it gets into the bore?

Actually, I was looking for a PB bullet I could use as an understudy for the jacketed ones. I am shooting them at 2,160fps with good accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry. have you considered the RCBS #37-250-FN? It casts out at 275 gr. in WW and is quite accurate in my Ruger #1 .375 H&H. I have two of the molds, one giving a .376" diameter, the other .379". So far, I've just been using the larger diameter bullet, lubed with Lyman's Magic Orange sized, IIRC, to .378". It's been a good bullet for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think that one would work. I would have to leave about half the lube grooves out the front of the case and that would also leave a lot of places for the bullet to hang up going from the magazine to the chamber. I passed up a Lyman 375449 mould that was very similar for that reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry O-
Go to www.neihandtools.com and look at
.375-280 GC #180A. This was designed for the 375 H&H and is a good shooter. You can get the PB or GC version in the same mold.