New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-20 load data with Lil' Gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any data for using Lil' Gun powder with an 86 gr bullet in the 25-20?
Speed-wise, Lil' Gun is about the same as 2400, but I don't know about the energy density.

Thanks!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does anyone have any data for using Lil' Gun powder with an 86 gr bullet in the 25-20?

Speed-wise, Lil' Gun is about the same as 2400, but I don't know about the energy density.

Thanks!

Jim,

I've got a pound sitting here, but haven't tried any in the 25-20. All of the various "powder burn rate" charts show Lil' Gun to be very similar to H110, which is a tad slower than 2400, although a spherical flake 'shotgun style' grain, rather than a ball. I believe the restrictions about downloading H110 do NOT apply, and it can be viewed as a "safer" powder to reduce.

My current load for the 25-20 is 12gr of Rx7 under the Rem 86gr JSP, safe in MY rifle, and accurate, no idea of velocity I must confess, but it's hummin' right along, and with a cold barrel, I can usually get the first two holes touching about 25-35yds with the peep.

Lee's Second Edition shows a volumetric density per CC for the following:

Unique: 9.2gr/1cc

Lil' Gun: 14.8gr/1cc

2400: 13.5gr/1cc

Blue Dot: 11.6gr/1cc

H110: 15.3gr/1cc

Rx7: 13.7gr/1cc

H4227: 13.0gr/1cc

H4198: 13.3gr/1cc

What you do with the above, DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER!!!!!!, is up to you, {;o).

What I don't have yet is a pound of the new Alliant 410, which after a VERY informative chat with Ben (?) on the Alliant help/info 800#, is very similar to Lil Gun, and sits in between 2400 and Rx7. Personally I find I'm much better off with only the one brand of powder, and have yet to be unable to find at least one load that shoots well in whatever cartridge/bullet with their powders.

I think much is made of the subtle differences from brand to brand in various load offerings, frankly I believe this to be more marketing than anything else.

Cheers,

R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Russ, thanks for the reply.

What I meant by "energy density" was the energy of the powders on a grain-for-grain comparison. For
example, 2400 and H4198 are very similar in their volume density (13.3 and 13.5 gr/cc), and very close
in burn rate, but a body can't load the same amounts of either powder. Well, maybe a body could, but
a body might regret it. <GGG> That is, they're similar, but not interchangable.

I don't know anything abour Lil' gun. A friend has some, and was wanting to save a 3-hour trip to town
to get a powder listed in his reloading manuals for the 25-20. He has a new rifle he's itching to try out,
and I completely sympathize with his predicament. He's not a computer-kinda guy, and I was showing
off a bit when I told him I could find some Lil' Gun loads on the internet for him. I checked quite a few
places, but couldn't find any loads for that powder in that cart'rige. I was hoping that someone in
this astute group might have tried it.

For myself, I'd try a start load of about 8 gr under an 86 gr JSP, but I hesitate to tell someone else to
risk HIS face and HIS rifle on MY guesses.

Thanks again for the reply and info!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Grumble: just trying to be helpful, although I have no .25-20/86 lil gun experience. I have shot lil gun under hard 257420's at the 10.2 grain and less levels and found none to be very accurate in my Marlin cl. 10.2 is about 1/2 grain too much in my gun regarding case expansion. I have, however had excellent results with the Remington jacketed 86 grain bullet and 15.3 grains WW 748/6 1/2 primer combo. Groups around 1.25" at 100. Good shooting, ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started using it with my 10" Contender barrel. So far, my heaviest load has been 8.0 grains and a Remington 86 grain SP. As near as I can tell from mic'ing the cases, pressure is a bit higher than factory loads I compared it to. Because it is a strong action, I intend to hot rod it a little and will go up from there. I wont get to the range again til this weekend, weather permitting, to test the newer loads and will have more to say about it then.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As always, I really appreciate the replies! It never ceases to amaze me how just
about any question can be answered, or at least intelligently discussed, on these forums.

Courtney, thanks for verifying my "guesstimate" on an experimental start load for Lil' Gun.
Sounds like 7-7.5 g might be the place to start in an older gun.

I printed your replies and faxed them to my friend, and he can use the info as he chooses.

Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Not directly related, but I have tried it in my Savage 32/20. Velocity was always high, but accuracy was poor to terrible. My same experence with it in a Marlin 218 Bee is high velocity, but poor accuracy with jackered bullets. HTH, Ric

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Although justified by the pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way, but but not on topic, I use the little 35 grain plastic tip hornady bullets in my Win 92/43 218 BEE with lilgun. I file the tips flat because of the magazine tube. The chamber is really minimum, and 14 grains is the load. It shoots 7/8" at 50 and with undetectable drop at 100. Iron sights, too.Cases last 4 or 5 reloads and its powerfol. Soon have to chronograph. Good shooting.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grumble et al,
Wellllll, it's still not LilGun data, but I did get back from the range this afternoon with some innerestin' stats on the 25-20.
Please NB! My COAL after some cartridge lifter modification is 1.640", so case capacity is VERY different to the SAAMI spec of 1.592, AND I'm only partially sizing my once fired cases.

Malin "94, circa 1910, 24"oct barrel 1 in 12"
86gr Rem JFP WW case with WSR primer over 12gr:Rx7
AV:1790fps SD:45 ES:121 Energy:612#
Group Size 3 shots <1" at 35yds with a 5MOA Red Dot.

I could usually get the first two shots nearly touching off of a fairly decent rest arrangement, and I'm not experienced with one. But the barrel heats quickly and the group opens up. This also affects the velocity, and the warmer the barrel got, the faster the bullet went. Some indication of primers starting to flatten and definitely a 'warmish' load.

VERY satisfying accuracy though, and a real pleasure to shoot. As Ken Waters mentions in his tome "Pet Loads", a touchy lil cartridge, but the accuracy potential is there, and a great small game getter I'm sure out to a hunnert yards.

Cheers!
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote