New
Find
Notify
Tools

820 Pounds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This guy shot a hog big enough to make The Drudge Report!
But 820? I would have a picture of the hog on the scale with a credible witness, like the local judge, if I was claiming anything this big.

http://www.al.com/outdoors/ind..._pound_wild_hog.html

M

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of pork!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have underestimated Schnauzers, although I have seen a Jack Russell Terrier work as a great hog dog.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I question whether this hog was wild after reading the story. Then to wait to the next day to weigh the hog? Well, that seems a bit odd as well. It is a big hog but over 800 pounds.....

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Big damn oinker.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I question it as well, including the claimed weight. The hog looks mighty clean and soft to have been living in the wild. Also, I seriously doubt a truly wild hog would have stuck around for a dog's barking, a kid yelling in the house and a guy meandering around with a revolver.

Meanwhile, somewhere in 'Bama, Farmer Joe is busy repairing his hog pen... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

I have killed a few over 500 pounds, a very few. I sure as hell wouldn't want to shoot them with a 38. That would be begging for trouble.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
This was posted on the Alabama papers comment section.........

" That is not a wild pig. It belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson, AL and dug out of it's pen last week while they were on vacation.Probably wouldn't have attacked anything but a cheeseburger"

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I knew it could not be a wild hog -- just did not look the part.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet she is pissed. And 800lbs it is NOT

quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
This was posted on the Alabama papers comment section.........

" That is not a wild pig. It belonged to Trisha Garcia of Samson, AL and dug out of it's pen last week while they were on vacation.Probably wouldn't have attacked anything but a cheeseburger"

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Anytime someone claims a pig is over 400 pounds it’s not as important to question the weight as it is to question the history of the pig. You can go to many pig farms and ask to see a 1,000 pound boar and the owner won’t think twice about walking you to see their giant boars. It’s not unusual for domestic boars to get to 800+ pounds, but pigs don’t get that big digging for roots and running from hunters. They must be fed… and fed a lot.

And in the case of this story who cares what it weighed? This wasn't a hunt - this gentleman dispatched a farm pig. Would you care what it weighed if I showed you a photo of me posing with a dead pony, beef cow or draft horse?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been killin' swine for nigh on 50+ years. East Texas Piney Wood rooters to Hill Country hoglets. Very few have topped 300 lbs. Doubt very much that this was a feral pig. But what the hey. Not my "yob" to say one way or the other.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In our part of the country, we often catch boars and castrate them. These are called bar hogs. Normally, the tail or ear is cut to mark them. These can and do grow to large proportions. One over say 500 is extremely rare. In the last 40 years, I have taken two such bar hogs that went over 500, one of which was over 500 field dressed. I shot anither that I suspect was over 500 but the scales were broke. I shot another that we estimated weighed over 500 that got away die to suspected bullet break up on impact. Long story.

I agree that many of these "wild" hogs are escapees from some farm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolute bullshit on the weight of that pig! I shot one as big as the one in the photo some weeks back, and estimated his weight at around 140kg. Maybe a bit more.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I question whether this hog was wild after reading the story. Then to wait to the next day to weigh the hog? Well, that seems a bit odd as well. It is a big hog but over 800 pounds.....

Well, think of it this way, you've got a big dead carcass in your front yard late at night. The next day you get a friend with a tractor with a front end loader to move it, he says "that's a big 'un, let's weigh him and he totes him to scales". Makes sense to me.

We had a schnauzer that owned my wife, if he thought something was threatening her, he would have attacked a lion. Brave dog. We had to put him down due to cancer. Sad day in our household.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brooks Peanut Co.. Samson, AL
(334) 898-7194

Call and ask what it weighed.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoooter's facebook page.......

https://www.facebook.com/Seago...rmy-170155429663548/

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Shoooter's facebook page.......

https://www.facebook.com/Seago...rmy-170155429663548/

So...local taxidermist eh....
So he shoots a neighbors pig that escaped its pen...posts it all over Internet with a "come see him in my shop" ad...
Nice... fishing

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'd killed that hog with a .38, and KNEW it was neighbor's hog, I'd post it too. Not too often one has one that size in your flowerbed.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Would you care what it weighed if I showed you a photo of me posing with a dead pony, beef cow or draft horse?

Have you shot so many ponies that you no longer bother to weigh them?

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a 1000 lb. domestic hog at the Twin Falls Fair last month..That was one big boy..and no I didn't weigh him..He looked the size of a Hippo to me. Cost me 50 cents to go in and look at him..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get your monies worth of thrill?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were at the Arizona State Fair years ago, we would pay the 50 cents each and see the giant horse, steer, gator and hog.
We were going through to gawk at Harley the Hog, they claimed 1100+ lbs. Right behind us was two nuns in habit. When going going behind ol' Harley one nun exclaimed "Oh my Lord, look at the nuts on him!" It was worth the price of admission.

M

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote