Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Ballistic-tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
I just finished shooting some of Noslers new Trophy Grade ammunition in my 22-250. It was very accurate. I was wondering how the ballistic tip would work on a javelina? I've used Sierra Game Kings in the past with good results. I just have no experience with the Noslers on Javelina sized animals. I thought maybe some of you had.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stick it in one ear and get out the skinning knife... javelinas are small animals and not hard to take down.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed javelina with a 223, even on chest/shoulder shots your 22/250 will work great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .22-250 w/55gr BTs is my go-to hog rifle. But, having said that, it is only brain shots at 125 yds and under. Knockes 'em dead right there.

I have shot one small/medium pig with it not in the brain housing group and that one was on the run, at night, with a red light. Ran by me at about 15 yds after I shot one of his buds. I did the old shotgun swing and follow thru but poked him in the liver--he went about 50 yds and piled up. Sure was a mess inside too.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as you've learned by now. Hit 'em right and they'll be dead right quick.

Only thing I can tell you about Noslers. They made 1 1/8" groups in my .223 where V'max's were in the same hole. One ten shot group was .230" at 100yds. So I've stuck with them.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
georgeld,
Thanks for the input. When I tried the new Trophy series Noslers my groups tightened considerably. I had not used BT's on javelina and was wondering how they would do.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cessna:
Barrel gave it up on my Sako .222mag. Had fought brass shortage for yrs. Had it rebarreled and cut for .223.

A hunting partner then had a shelf full of bullets. Between us, we came up with 19. I had a load figured out and just used it; 25.0gr 4895. Loaded five of each bullet and the first sorting for accuracy only, cut it down to five. Ten of each of those proved the 35 & 40gr V'max's were by far best in my rifle. 55gr C/L's turned out about 3/8" groups. Plenty for p/dogs.

Those 35's turned out perfect until beyond 200yds. Then they'd scatter all over the hillside. By that I mean, 50 yds in any direction. The 40's hung in there til the range was too far to be shooting anyway. Then the 55's were still hitting.

To me, and that was my first actual real sorting. I'm convinced: decide on your load, then sort the bullets using the same loading for everyone of them. Once you get that figured out, then you can tweek things a bit more IF you wish. I didn't need to after the second go round. Just bought 5000 each of the 40's and 55's. That was in '99, sure glad I did seeing the current prices and being hard to get. I'll never use these up in what's left of my lifetime.

Hope this helps you decide how to work it. Best of luck and fun getting things figured out.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
georgeld--that's not the process I used when I was in the accuracy work-up business several years ago, but bottom line, if it works, who am I to criticize?

Poke 'em in the noggin and it's DRT.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"