Tools

Germany deals with swine fever in wild boars
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Hope their management strategy works.
https://www.reuters.com/articl...r-idUSKBN2BE1EX?il=0

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
This week is the 2nd anniversary of us leaving Germany, seems like we were just there.

The biggest problem with wildboars now is that a lot of butcher shops won't take them or they want to give you $5 for them.

Where I lived in Rheinland Pfalz we also had issues with radiation poisoning from a plume from Russia.

By the time you spend all night in the tree, and account for ammunition and gas you have lost money on every hog that goes to the abbator.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Interesting scoop there from the newest "thinkers" on the issue. Prior to this latest effort, the pork producing industry was guilty of 'a bit of overkill' in my opinion, considering that domestic pork buyers would stop buying domestic pork from countries that only have wild hogs infected with the ASF. I guess they instinctively play it safe. Makes as much sense as people who blame ALL Asians for the Covid-19 outbreak.

Gleason said it best.

As for wild hogs, if the game managers there are serious enough, slap a 20 Euro bounty on them.
I would imagine plenty of new hog hunters would have a pretty good reason to hunt them now. Possibly sell some new licenses as well?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Hope their management strategy works.
[url=https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-swinefever/germany-agrees-to-more- wild-boar-hunting-to-combat-swine-fever-idUSKBN2BE1EX?il=0]https://w

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
issues with radiation poisoning from a plume from Russia

Chernobyl is still with us, even after 35 years.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Politicians saying more hunting is not going to solve this problem.

Best thing to come out of ASF in Germany so far is that we can now use night vision / thermal scopes and mounts for pigs at night.

However with wolves running freely and heavily protected in Germany, pig populations are becoming shy and not coming to bait sites as freely as last year(s).

Will be interesting to see 2020/21 hunting season pig numbers when they are released in a month or so. My guess flat at best.

We took 65 pigs off our concession last season, but none have been around in the last weeks which is very unusual especially as they should be dropping litters around now.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

Are the butchers buying them?