New
Find
Notify
Tools

July Has Not Started Well
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been out twice with the bow, and both times were dry holes, although had I stayed in my seat another 15 minutes on the first sit I would likely have gotten a shot.

Last night I went for a sit locally--hogs have been regular between 9:30 & 11:00 but stood me up last night. And the worst part is the heat---hottest day of the year so far and the forecast breeze from the S/SE which would have been in my face was as scarce as the hogs. Saw a 'coon and couple of deer and that's all. I will give them another couple of nights and re-check the cameras to see if I need to reschedule or wait out the heat.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain on the heat! Camera shows one regular at the creek blind on the wife's place. Problem is the creek blind faces south west! Evening sun heats it like an oven and no real direct breeze. Three of the Grandkids are staying so that's my excuse and I am sticking to it. Any body see tarantulas on road?

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Guys, just wait for the cold weather this weekend. It will not hit triple digits and will only get up to 99 Saturday. Big Grin

Seriously, though, the heat has been stifling. The older I get, the less I can tolerate it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA!

Three days in a row now the hottest part
of the day it's clouded over up here.

Hell of it is, the rain clouds have just
blown on over or past depending on where
they were. Some one's getting plenty wet
though.

For once this year has been quite cool for
June & July. Only a few days of 102, most years
we've had most of three weeks or more over

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally some activity---had a trap triple this morning-2 sows and a boar, about 80-100# It is just too dang hot to go sit plus the hogs are back on their midnight to dawn schedule.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's more like it!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Kudos on the trap triple. Had some larger hogs here about midnight. I had stepped out, scanned towards the creek and only saw deer. I was going to go lock up my shop before heading back in, and just for grins I scanned an area I would not expect hogs. Well, there they were -- for maybe 5 seconds. The wind had shifted to the east and carried my scent right to them.

About 30 minutes later, 9 shoats of 35-40 pounds each were at the lighted feeder. Was hurting too much to mess with butchering tonight unless a bruiser showed up to make it worth my while, so they got a free pass. They may not be as lucky next time. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least they're starting to come
around again. That's encouraging.

How are those lights? Bright enough
and holding up so far? Do they burn all
night? OR dim out before they should?

I have a spot aimed at the front door.
It burns bright til about 1am, then
runs down. Don't think it gets sun long
enough to really charge it up good.

Hope you get a decent nights sleep Bobby.
I've been spending 4-7 hours and never even
rolling over. IF it wasn't for this belly bag
and having to pee I could really get a nights
sleep.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what's showing at my local spot---maybe out for a sit tomorrow if the winds change.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dusty, sure looks like they're
eating your corn!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight