New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPI scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking in my used scope drawer and found this scope. 2.5 power SPI NO. 562 seems like a pretty well made scope but I can't find any information about it. I would guess that it was made in the 60's give or take a decade or two. Anybody heard of these?

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of them but googling shows they make thermal stuff and that the Model 564 4x32 model had a 'Centra-set reticle'.

I don't suppose your reticle moves out of centre if you wind it some distance? If it does and there is minimal tunnel vision, you might indeed have a prize. Otherwise, it's just more of the same old rubbish the Japanese have been serving up since the reticle-movement Kowa Prominar went for a Burton.

March and Nightforce scopes are made in Japan, of course, but they are still mostly image-movement and of little interest to me.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reticle does not move when turning to adjust. Had rimfire scope rings on so must have gotten with a rifle I bought years ago. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
My Dad bought me a 6X SPI for my 243 back in 1969, it was about like a Tasco, I really wanted a Weaver K4 which would have been a step up.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee that is what I was thinking also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SPI (Southern Precision Instruments) of San Antonio, Texas were the importers of low line scopes and binoculars from Japan in the late 1960's early '70's. Glass was superior to Weaver but internals were a gamble. One could be set and hold just fine while the next could scramble at any time. As I remember only plain cross hairs were available.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote