New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I Have a minox apo hg 10x43 than I have bent the eye piece on. It will be going back to blaser and getting fixed but it is out of commission for a while.

I have a Nikon monarch 5 8x42. This is my back up glass.

I am looking for another binocular slightly better than the monarch - the best $ value.

Either the replacement or the monarch will become my fishing glass - looking for baitfish.

Any recommendations -like to stay in the $350-$750 price range.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Monarch is a higher-grade Nikon, but you sound as though you want something dearer. Can't think of what that might be in your range unless it is Meopta or that new faux-German brand - but are they better than Nikon?

If you want bigger but hope to keep the price and weight down, I thoroughly recommend the cheaper Nikon Prostaff 10x42.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The minox is better than Nikon. I like the Nikon too as I am overall impressed with their glass.

I have a swaro pocket and I will be getting 8x30 Swarovski or blaser next year.

Right now I am looking for something in the Nikon monarch price and quality range - best $ value.

Maybe just another Nikon.

I also leave these at my beach place for people to use for rocket launches out of Canaveral.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 that are pretty damn good. Not quite clear to the rim like swarovskis, but if you aren’t looking for it you probably won’t notice it. I’ve seen thee used for 450 (new ~600) and they have a no BS lifetime warranty. These are Japanese made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Tract Toric 8x42 is very, very close optically to the SLC HD for well under $700. It's an absolute steal.

Vortex is now Chinese made, and their quality shows it.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
A Tract Toric 8x42 is very, very close optically to the SLC HD for well under $700. It's an absolute steal.

Vortex is now Chinese made, and their quality shows it.

That’s disappointing to hear. Just checked and saw the Vipers are now Indeed Chinese. My are stamped Japan. Not sure when that transition happened. Hmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, stick with the Monarchs....nothing better in that price range. Save your money for some more banana clips :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under $500.00 look at the Meopta MeoPro's.

Under $300.00 look at the Athlon Midas

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3646 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski EL 8x32... accept no substitutes.

But if you want to trade a little quality for a few bucks, then consider the Swarovski CL 8x30.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

But if you want to trade a little quality for a few bucks, then consider the Swarovski CL 8x30.

I agree and I will get them or blaser next year.

This will be one to lend out at times and use by people who don’t get that good glass can cost $2k.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you consider purchasing the Blaser 8X30 spend a little time comparing against the Swaro EL 8x32. I know you're sold on all things Blaser, but their optics have a ways to go. I had a chance to test drive a pair and would not consider trading them for my Swaros.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think for sub $500 you can beat what Nikon's MONARCH 7 will give you. I put my Euro. bino's up when I got the MONARCH and then last year I got the MONARCH HG's with the field flattener, amazing clarity and light transmission. Nikon's MONARCH 7 8x30's are really nice as well. They are my turkey hunting/scouting bino's. Light weight and semi compact.

Posts: 33 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 01 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monarch 7 or Meopta.

Look at Cabelas bargain cave if one is near you for last years Cabelas Meopta HD's. I just picked up a pair of 12X50's for a silly low price.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Tract Toric 8x42.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna be hard to beat this deal:

http://cameralandny.com/spec-s...ct_guids][0]=1702191

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You many want to wait till Fall 2018 for the Tract Toric 8x42. They recently announced upgraded glass for their 8X42 model.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tract is having a sale right now at - 10%.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent some time at bass pro looking at

Monarch 5
Monarch 7
Swarovski EL

Given big box stores with artificial light (same for SCI and dsc and other conventions) is worst place to look at glass quality. The Swarovski which is the best most expensive glsss was the worst. Next year I will get a swarovski - most likely in 30mm range.

I also spoke to Blaser - the turnaround on the minox is 8-10 weeks.

I really want to check the tract toric.

I need a good light fishing glass to scan for bait balls ect and I think I can move my monarch 5 to that role.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tract is having a sale right now at - 10%.

Bought it and a monarch 7.

Given my terrible reputation in forgetting my binoculars, I may move one of my nikons as my truck binoculars.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't be disappointed with your purchase. Don't forget about the No Fault Warranty if something ever happens to them and no worries if you can't find the receipt.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I tried out a pair of cabelas 8x30 (I think about 500$?) and they were nicer than I expected. Czech made. Is that a meopta rebrand?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I tried out a pair of cabelas 8x30 (I think about 500$?) and they were nicer than I expected. Czech made. Is that a meopta rebrand?

Yes it is, however, these days we can sell you the original Meoptas for less than the rebrands. Give us a call so we can discuss what would be the right one for you

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3646 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Cabelas Instinct 8x32 HD is made by Meopta for Cabelas and they are superb. For some reason Meopta doesn't make the equivelent Meostar 8x32 in HD for themselves, just a non HD 8x32. The Meopro HD is a notch below the Meostar's.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Cabelas Instinct 8x32 HD is made by Meopta for Cabelas and they are superb. For some reason Meopta doesn't make the equivelent Meostar 8x32 in HD for themselves, just a non HD 8x32. The Meopro HD is a notch below the Meostar's.

I don’t see the ones I looked at on either website. Strange

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I will second the Tract Toric or Tekoa's. I have a pair of the Tekoa 10x42's and can't see any reason to upgrade past them. The optical quality is astounding, as is the build quality. Please don't sleep on them. They're money well spent.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went thru several of them and finally found on AR a Rodchester Baush and Lomb 20X, intended to get a 30 and 40 eye piece but its so clear I have never need more power..I can see 22 holes at 200 yards wth it. and read a trophy like a book at about any range...Best investment I ever made..it incredibly clear and definition is beyond my dreams.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting:
1) Weight
2) Hydrophobic coatings
3) Tight smooth focus wheel that does not move when hiking
4) Internal baffling: Try them out when the sun rises and sets. Look on the horizon close to the sun and se how close you can get to the sun without flare or glare.
5) Build quality.

All these manufacturers offer very good glass these days. Look beyond how they perform in bright sunlight.
I have owned all the alphas.
#4 is a killer on what consider the best binocs Swar El's are the worst with flare and glare. I suppose they have not focused enough on internal baffling and the objectives are very close to the end of the binoc.
I am currently carrying Leica 10 X 42 HD+. I would like to try some Zeiss Victory HT's for their light transmission.
If I am hiking hills I will have some good 8x32's

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current favorite binocular is my new Leupold Golden Ring 7/12x32 SWITCH POWERS.

They are excellent for looking for something and seeing what it is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in case any of you are looking for some nice glass in a semi-compact size, check out Nikon's MONARCH 7 8 or 10x30 bino's. Very clear,bright and fit great in a day pack. I have been using a pair for over a year now and love em. Great for turkey hunting with a crossbow, easy to tuck inside a light jacket. Definitely worth taking a look at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I THINK Ray Atkinson gave a report about a Bausch & Lomb Rochchester NY made spotting scope. Go to EBAY and find a pair of Zephyr weight B&L Rochester NY made binos and you'll save hundreds and probably give them the same review he gave. Mine are near 50 years old, so I can't say how well they will hold up, maybe after broken in I can say.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Good advice. The inexpensive binoculars are the most expensive.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote