New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lenspen lens cleaning system
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After owning and shooting through scope for years. I have several scopes that need cleaning.
Is the lens cleaning pens safe to use on my scopes?
Thanks

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The brush side is effective to gently remove debris and dust while using compressed air. ONLY use the pad side when you are sure that all debris is off the glass, otherwise you risk scratching the optics.

I have found that a microfiber cloth is better at removing oil and smudges than the pad side of the Lenspen. The pad side is pretty small and can foul quickly.

One other note - Do not apply liquid lens cleaner directly to your optics. Apply to a microfiber cloth first and then use the slightly moist cloth to remove smudges, oil etc.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lenspen cleaned 95% of the scopes up just fine. Unfortunatly one of my expensive scopes did not fair to well.
I can wiew through it on the gun and not see any of the spots on the lens. But can see it clearly outside in the light of day looking at the scope lens it's self. Not smudges but spots.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lens cleaner will generally remove water spots. Water spots are generally mineral in nature and can scratch as they are being removed. In other words, don't get too aggressive with the moist microfiber cloth.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the b&l lens cleaner patches are handy you can get a big fox for a couple bucks at the drug store. the packets can just be thrown in with shooting gear and used when you need them

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kodak lens tissue and lens cleaning liquid.

Wrap the tissue thickly around a paper Q-tip, on the cotton end. Wet the tissue, clean the lens w/minimal pressure. Use dry tissue on another q-tip to dry if necessary.

Camel's hair brush from camera store also. Might find a bulb brush which can blow off dust etc.

Use anything else and you run risk of damaging coating or scratching lens. Got a real Camera shop in your town? Ask them what they recommend to clean expensive lenses?

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Just my preference here: I like the pre-moistened, individually wrapped lint-free glasses cleaners you can get at your local Rite-Aid / CVS / Walmart Optical place. I buy them 20 at a time and keep a few on my when hunting.

There's nothing worse than getting a bit of sunscreen on the lenses...and then on the cleaning micro-fiber...and then forgetting it's there until a season later...

Disposable pre-moistened. They are fantastic.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loiblb:
After owning and shooting through scope for years. I have several scopes that need cleaning.
Is the lens cleaning pens safe to use on my scopes?
Thanks
I suspect your safest option is to ask your telescopic sight manufacturer for their specific method - and follow it.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote