New
Find
Notify
Tools

375H&H + 3x scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello. I have a new Heym Express in 375 on the way and am wondering if any of you have used a fixed 3x scope for African hunting with your 375? Thoughts, liked or wished for more power? Thank you. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda depends on what & where you're hunting.

I use a fixed 2.5x20mm on my 9.3x62mm when I'm focused on buffalo in the bushveld. Don't recall taking a shot beyond 60 yards with that setup and that was plenty magnification.

YMMV

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kinda depends on what & where you're hunting.

Yes, it will I believe.
On my own .375 H&H I mounted a Leupold VX6, 1-6 X scope and have hunted Zimbabwe and Namibia, finding the scope to be ideal. For me, the ideal setting has been 4X, with most shots taken on this setting. Whatever a scope setting is I prefer to leave it alone and not worry about it or fiddle with it once set. The only times I remember changing were when the PH suggested winding DOWN in Zim when we got very close to Buff once or twice ( I wound down to 2X ), then winding UP to 6X in Namibia taking a 150 yd shot at a Baboon. So having that magnification range has been handy in certain situations. I have another .375 H&H rifle coming to me on which I intend to mount a Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10X Illuminated. I expect that too will mostly be shot set on 4X.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to lean towards fixed power because of that cousin from Boston - Mr. Murphy - regularly making an uninvited appearance at the worst times...

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about general usage with a specific buffalo hunt in mind.

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GaryG
posted 25 April 2022 05:03
I am thinking about general usage with a specific buffalo hunt in mind.

So, a low range variable might fit the bill if I understand your comment correctly ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5 Luopold is perfect. It has very long eye relief too.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always thought that the 3 power Leupolds on 375's were a magic combo...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I have a .375 and it has a Zeiss 1.5x6 on it. It is a great scope. You could be in thick stuff then go to open grass. It gives you the option plus its an excellent PG scope. I have used it on buffalo at 50 yards in Zim to gemsbok in RSA at 315 yards.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
I have always used the Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 x24 on heavy rifles.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have more than a few of those good scopes, on my 375 H&H, 7x57, on and off of most of my guns, Its my go to for DG in Africa for years...I never got into a situation wherein I felt the need for more power in a scope..To this day for big game on NA or any other world locaton I still perfer the 3X Leupold 3x or 4X fixed..I do have 3x9s and 2x7s on some varmint guns and in my desk draws..I also really likef my 2.5X Leupole Alaskan 7/8" tube on my custom 7x57 for whitetail in Texas the last couple of years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a 2.5x scope on a .375 mag but if you prefer more magnification like our Kiwi buddy, look for one of the old 4x32 Kahles made just before their changing to image-movement. You can tell them by the Euro focusing and ocular tapering straight to the 26mm steel tube.

I was given one recently but despite a big scratch on the objective lens, I love it!

Not only does it have a 34-foot FoV with a 3.5-inch eye relief and a modest 36mm ocular but the least tunnel vision of any Kahles I've ever seen - as good as best old Nickel, Zeiss and Weavers.

In my experience, those old Kahles scopes are as tough as old boots and should last well as anything on a .375 mag.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote