New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope cap solution
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm headed back to Kodiak Island next spring where rain is an almost certain issue to deal with. I've used the flip open caps for many years, but want to know if there are other better options. The most likely situation will be starting the stalk with rain coming down and the need for lens protection, then at the time just before the shot the need to remove your caps or whatever protection you have quickly. One other consideration is that on my rifle/scope set-up clearance between the bolt handle and scope cap becomes an issue. So the need is something that is QUICKLY removable and having no bolt handle blockage or interference. What is best? thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some of the bikini covers they are small at first but stretch and remain larger and fit better after being on the scope for a while.they have a tab on the ocular cover for quick pull off. only a few dollars.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tethered neoprene stretch cover. I tether it to the rifle so I don't lose it. Just pull it off, and shoot.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
farbedo: what part of the rifle do you tether it to and what do you use as the tether material? thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tether is attached at the front of the cover and I just use paracord. I poke a hole in the neoprene cover with a heated nail and then use a simple loop through the cover.

The tether goes around the forearm and can't go anywhere since the sling is there.

More or less, I copied this: https://scopeguardalaska.com/p...ard-riflescope-cover

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks jeremy

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The neoprene covers are best as they cover the whole scope and keeps dirt, rain and snow off it and also out of the action too if the scope is mounted low. Like Jeremy, I also tether mine so it just hangs off to the side. I find these the best.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing this pic of Phil Shoemaker:

Looks like innertube to me,...

Sorry it's so big (linked to another online pic) - Phil is larger than life, but this is ridiculous!