New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All my scopes are Leupold, but I am interested in a BDC reticle, and this seems to meet my needs. I would mount it on a 300 WSM and use it for hog hunting out to 500 yards with 130gr ammunition. Most reviews indicated good value for the price. Does anyone have any personal experience with Vortex scopes?

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Kensco,
From the research I have done, all the Vortex scopes are made in China, Phillipines, or Japan.
May or may not make a difference to you.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned Vortex. They are good.

I do like Leupold better, however. They just seem to be a bit clearer for my eyes.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made up my mind. It is going to be a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO (Dead-Hold BDC reticle)

The question then becomes, should I get a 0MOA rail or the 20MOA? Ninety-five percent of my shooting is inside 500 yards. On rare occasions I might get a chance at a 1,000 yard range. Doesn't that make the 0MOA rail the obvious choice, or am I missing something?

I would mount the new scope on the Browning A-Bolt 300 WSM and move the Leupold 6x18 Vari-X II to the Remington 700 25.06 Rem.

I had never shot a BDC reticle scope until last week at Vermejo Park. The results were magic out to 1,000 yards. I don't consider myself a good shot with a deer rifle out past 250 yards on game. With the BDC reticle I was hitting the 500 yard target (the size of a mule deer's vital area) consistently. To me the BDC reticle would double my shooting range (confidence) for hogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming a quality scope, you don't lose anything by mounting it to a 20MOA rail.

On the other hand, if the scope you chose has enough adjustment to get you out to your maximum range, then you don't gain anything by mounting it to a canted rail either.

I would say spend 10 minutes on a ballistic calculator (there are many on the net, and several apps for you phone). See how much you need to adjust for your maximum range with whatever ammo you would be using. If that is less than 40-45% of your scope's adjustment, put it on a parallel rail.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter, I'll give it a go.

one of us
posted Hide Post