Find
Notify
Tools

Usable Eye Releif and age
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
When you look at a specifications from an optic (doesn't matter what it is, range finder, rifle scope, binoculars, spotting scope and to some extent camera), the specs will outline a distance from your pupil to the ocular eye lens.

This distance can very by as much as 5mm between what is listed and what is usable. By definition the usable eye relief, is generally the eye relief between your pupil and rear eye ring. I have noticed that it is very hard to purchase an optic sight unseen without taking this into consideration.

I am over 40, and my eyes have degenerated quite a bit in the last 10 years. In my early 30's I could read a computer screen without eye glasses, now I can't read a computer screen without them. And even though I have 20-450 plus vision in both eyes, I have to take my glasses off and hold a product up to my eye to be able to read the ingredients of a package of catsup or something similar.

As a glasses wearer, the usable eye relief is the distance between the ocular cup and the lens of my glasses. Making things even more complicated for me to purchase binoculars. Rifle scopes are critical as well, but nothing like a pair of binoculars.

Take a trip to Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse and look through every optic they have regardless of price and write down the models that work for you. Then take a look at the listed eye relief versus what you felt you could see.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately BWW, it seems scope makers usually consider eye relief to be the distance from the eye to the lens, and it may also be some distance into the eye.

Some also tell a few porkies from time to time in regard to their variables, listing the eye relief as the same at all powers, when it usually decreases as you power up - not as much as it used to perhaps, but still a bit.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted this because I am having a hell of a time finding a pair of 10x42s or 10x50's that will work for me.

Then lenses on my glasses (I am near sighted so I wear them continuously) are 1/4 to 1/5th of an inch thick.

Many very expensive binoculars give me tunnel vision.

So far the only ones I have found I really enjoy are the Zeiss, Minox, Meopta and Swarovski.

Leica and most of the current Vortex line is not working.

I am looking for a pair of Bushnells new binos and a pair of Konus. I hear great things about both of their newer lines.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I wear glasses for long range vision, can read computer screens, books etc perfectly so don't need glasses for my near vision. I never have my glasses on when using binoculars in fact nobody needs to use glasses when using binoculars as focusing is all taken care of by the bino. I know it's a little inconvenient removing ones glasses but I have never found any binocular that works well with glasses. Nothing like getting your eyes into the cups and eliminating that tunnel vision let alone the propensity for glasses to fog if you have a sweat up or it is raining.
I use strings on my glasses when hunting, or skiing for that matter, to prevent them getting swiped off my face and to let them hang out of the way when using binos, works well for me.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My impression is that German optics are much fussier about eye position than others. If you wear glasses they can be a pita. Even with the eye cups retracted you still can't get close enough to get a full field of vision. The other problem is that with the eye cups retracted you now have your glasses in contact with the ocular lens, which can cause scratches etc. When I use my binoculars I have to take off whatever glasses I am wearing. The price you pay for less fussy eye position is less clear image.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In our bush deer hunting, I would not be game to remove my glasses (for myopia). Unfortunately the fashion has returned to big frames, which can't get the lenses close to the eyes like those little ones of 10 or 20 years ago. So, I just use my old frames.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 20-450 vision in both eyes. Even when I adjust the binos and can see well, I don't feel like I can see as well as I can with eye glasses and binos on.

Without glasses I can not use a computer, recognize people from 30 feet away or much of anything else.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
My impression is that German optics are much fussier about eye position than others. If you wear glasses they can be a pita. Even with the eye cups retracted you still can't get close enough to get a full field of vision. The other problem is that with the eye cups retracted you now have your glasses in contact with the ocular lens, which can cause scratches etc. When I use my binoculars I have to take off whatever glasses I am wearing. The price you pay for less fussy eye position is less clear image.
C.G.B.

Absolutely agree with you there, I don't like the glass to glass contact you get when folding or screwing down the eye cups on binoculars to use with glasses. There maybe some eye conditions where glasses are still needed to view through binos, as BWW is indicating for him but I have one eye stronger than the other and I can focus my binos to get a good clear picture without wearing my spectacles.
I just find the eye cups around the eyes as intended keeps stray light out and is much more comfortable viewing than with glasses on.
I use German made 10x42 Optolyth Alpin binos and they're pretty damn good even now that they are 40 years old with a lot of use.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find a pair of the new high end Minox 10x50s and the Kowa 10x56. They are supposed to have 18mm of eye relief.

At $650 each they are a cheaper option than buying a pair of Swarovski ELs.

I have yet to have a pair of binoculars ocular lenses touch my glasses. Most new binos have a 1-3mm difference between actual eye relief and usable eye relief.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today the kids and I sat at the kitchen table watching Gamble quail drinking water in the back yard and comparing the 3 sets of Binos I have left in the house.

We then went to Cabelas (for Christmas photos of course) and I spent about 15 minutes looking through ever 10x42 and 10x50 that they had.

Long story short. Vortex doesn't do eye relief for glasses wearers, Leica is questionable and the Swarovski EL is the Non-Plus-Ultra!

The Meopta made Cabelas brand was horrible, the $1300 Leupolds were ok.