Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold fails while not on a rifle - update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I must be snake bit when it comes to Leupold. I mentioned in my earlier post regarding 10/22's being hard on scopes that my old M8x3x serves as a backup scope for my 416 Rigby. When I previously got this scope back from Leupold I sighted it in on the 416 and it has just sat in a box until my recent trip. I wrapped the scope in a Leupold green cloth and placed it inside my hard gun case with my rifles. Never touched it on the trip. While unpacking this morning I picked up the scope and heard something rattling. Looked through the scope and it appears that two internal lenses have come loose. All while not even on a rifle. No signs of damage to the rifle case or to anything else in the case. Nothing appeared to have shifted in the case. Rings on the scope are not over the lens. I think I'm cursed.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I had another thought about this, Tom: that maybe the baggage handlers dropped the case, end first on a hard surface, whereby inertia caused the erector tube or its spring to move forward violently in the scope.

However, reading your other post just now, it would appear some individual lenses have indeed come loose. Unless they look like big ones, they are probably either lenses from the erector tube or collective lenses, generally located between the erector tube and objective. Ask Leupold if they can explain it.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
There is the possibility that the sighting in on the 416 rigby did 99% of the "damage" to loosen the lens and even though the scope was well packaged the minor bumps and vibrations that go with travel simply did the last 1%.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10059 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a human made it then it can break, even thought the circumstances of that breakage may be puzzling. Leupold will stand behind it -- and you might even be lucky enough this time that they would send you a brand new one of the M8-3x which they have offered only through their custom shop (assuming they are still available).

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you live to close to biebs Big Grin coffee

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
you live to close to biebs

That must be the reason. wave The scope has been sent back to Leupold. I was told to expect a 4-6 week turnaround.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you live to close to biebs Big Grin coffee

That adds significantly to his property value :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I received a notice from Leupold that they won't fix the M8-3x. Spoke to one of their reps. and it's being replaced with an FXII 6x36. I was offered that or an FX II 4xx33 or a Freedom 1.5x4x variable. I decided on the fixed 6x. I guess I can't complain since I bought the original scope back in the seventies.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they took care of you but what are you going to use for backup on the 416?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I haven't thought much about a backup for the 416 since I'm considering selling the rifle. It's a Ruger Safari Magnum. The price of Elephant hunts have risen to the point where I don't see myself doing another such hunt.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I received a notice from Leupold that they won't fix the M8-3x. Spoke to one of their reps. and it's being replaced with an FXII 6x36. I was offered that or an FX II 4xx33 or a Freedom 1.5x4x variable. I decided on the fixed 6x. I guess I can't complain since I bought the original scope back in the seventies.

Tom, why would Leupold think a 6x scope might be a suitable replacement for your 3x - and why would you want it, if it is to go with a big-bore?

Ask them if they could make you a 2.5x like the one they did for Ray Atkinson, after he shook the guts out of so many others.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
It won't be going on a big bore. Will either wind up on my 10/22 or possibly in the classifieds.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The classifieds sound good Smiler