New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWAROVSKI Z6 1-6x FOV (mostly)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read the recent comments on mounting one of the Z6's on a M70 and wanted to add some observations about the scope itself.

Mine have only been on AR's. The first was a EE model which I had not initially requested. It worked well enough, but given the short stock of an AR and being a bit of a stock crawler I needed to mount it way forward with a cantilever mount. I also always found that FOV seemed poorer that I expected, particularly if I did get a bit too close. Beyond that the glass is great making hits out to 300m very doable on common IPSC type targets.

After some years I've finally replaced it with a regular Z6 1-6; i.e. not the EE. The difference is phenomenal. The FOV is simply huge and I am almost unable to see to the edge of the image with my shooting eye it is that large (you almost need to look left and right to see it all). The specs say the difference is a whole 9m at 100m (and 27 feet at 100yards; 127,5 vs. 100.5). This is a really meaningful difference in circumstances where field of view matters; and in hunting it pretty much always matters to some extent and if you use a scope for driven hunts or DG it is a really big deal.

Let's call the difference 3m at 30m, or 900mm at 10m, which is at least a complete IPSC target more that you are able to see to speed up tracking between targets and it is a good chunk of the next buffalo off to the side for example.

Both scopes do lend themselves to shooting with both eyes open at 1X but there is a bit of tunnel effect with the EE although not to a disturbing extent. I've certainly seen worse with others. The non-EE model blends the eyepiece fantastically well with the image and the occular housing is essentially not noticed at all; i.e. no tunnel effect at all.

Both have a fairly forgiving eyebox, allowing for a good image with a bit of an imperfect head position.

If you have an EE and don't need it for recoil reasons consider a regular 1-6x24. You will appreciate the difference.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote