New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good .22 scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Henry in a .22 mag, would like to hear recommendations for a scope for it, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What is your budget and what do you see yourself using it for?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My budget is about $200.00 and the use would be for varmints. up to 75 yd shots

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A 2-7 Leupold VXI would work great for what you want and if you shop carefully they can be had at your price range.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I have an Erma, the pre Henry model with ( arguably ) better workmanship.

IMO a scope is wrong on that rifle.

The factory sights are very usable, else there are Peep sights there also.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nikon has reasonable price scope for rimfire.
The higher the power the better if you are varmint shooting from a stationary position otherwise if you're a squirrel hunter, I would opt for the lowest power you could get.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arminius:
I have an Erma, the pre Henry model with ( arguably ) better workmanship.

IMO a scope is wrong on that rifle.

The factory sights are very usable, else there are Peep sights there also.

Hermann

He wasn't asking you if you think he should scope it or if you thought your rifle was better than his, he asked about which scope when he scopes it.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems with my Burris FFII 3-9x40 Rimfire scopes, the ones they used to include at no charge when you bought a FFII 3-9x40 with BDC - aah, the good old days of 8 years ago.

I also like my Nikon P22 (I think that's what it's called) 2-7 with BDC.

As a matter of fact, I think the Burris FFII Rimfires give up nothing to the Leupold 2-7 Rimfire I used to own.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great .22 scope priced reasonably is the 2X7X32 Crossfire. http://www.cameralandny.com/op...texcrossfireii2-7x32

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
An old Unertl, Lyman or Redfield target sight might look the part - maximum 8x of course and that might be hard to find. I see on ebay some old German 2.5x scopes for .22s that have no bells, though their narrow tubes make them look a bit like whistles Smiler

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver grand Slam 4.75 x 40 you can have for a hundred bucks if your interested.. I had it on my Henry 22 mag..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'm very pleased by the Leupold Vari-X II 4-12x50 AO I mounted on top of my Anschütz 1710, so much so that I have another one on order for installing on my K31 Swiss.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When buying a scope for an air rifle, was having a problem that standard scopes would not focus at the range I needed for an air rifle. 50 yards is pretty much the standard minimum that scopes will focus down to. I bought a Leupold 3x-9x compact with EFR (extended focus range) which will focus down to 10 yards. On a .22 rimfire, I think you also need this ability to focus at shorter ranges. The Leupold scope I mentioned will be out of your quoted price range, but there a couple of considerations there. The saying buy nice or buy twice applied in my case. I tried going cheaper to include a Leupold 2x-7x compact which would not focus down to the range I needed. Then I bit the bullet and bought the EFR model and problem solved. The other consideration of buying that scope is that it holds it's value. On EBAY I never saw a used one go for less than $275 at the time a new one could be bought for $307. In effect a $32 scope---what a deal. Spend the money and get the one I mentioned--why put a Yugo engine in a Mercedes?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluemule1:
I have a Henry in a .22 mag, would like to hear recommendations for a scope for it, thanks.

Have the same rifle as well as one in .22LR. After a few trips to the range and seeing how well they shot removed the 4X's I had on them and installed Weaver 3x9 AO rimfire scopes.
Been using the Weaver AO scopes for years and they are super clear. Once in awhile you can find them on sale for $190-220. Scored my last two NIB on Ebays for $185 each when a store went out of business.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank - If you don't have anything in the works, I would be interested in your 4.75 Weaver GS scope.

sent you a PM.

Thx

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had really good luck with the Weaver V series scopes on the rimfires! I really like the v16 they track well and hold zero well. IMO reall value for the money.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone have an opinion on a Redfield Golden Five Star 2-7x Scope

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the scope Snellstrom suggested on a 22mag and a 17HMR. I would recommend it as well.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned previously that I am a fan of Weaver rimfire scopes, particularly the 3x9 with AO.
Always in the market to try something new so ordered a Nikon 3x9 rimfire scope from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply can't believe how clear and sharp this scope is. It does not have an AO but does have fast focus. For the price it is a fantastic piece of glass. Give one a try.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Optic Zone and check out the Clearidge scope they offer. They are a little over $200 but really shine on a 22 with a 3x9 with AO. I like it as well as the EFR Leupold for a lot less money.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Even were I to use a modern scope, anything with a 40mm objective lens is likely to make a .22 look top heavy.

Posts: 4957 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And be too heavy for me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a Simmons .22mag on my semi 22lr and it has worked for any conditions even in the winter.

the one i have is the fix 4x32. price is low but if it works ...

grouse and ptarmigan are still falling.

hope it helps you.

Phil

Posts: 1732 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 RF scopes are suggested as they are set for about 75 yards, but I have never seen any advantage to that. I use a 4X Leupold compact and it works fine..I also have a 1X Weaver, and a 2.5X Weaver..About any decent rifle scope will work on a 22 just fine. I really liked my 2.5X Leupold Alaskan, but they got so expensive after Leupold discontinued them I couldn't justify owning one. Competition target might be a whole nuther ball game, but I just hunt with my 22s..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote