New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Tikka T3 22-250 with heavy varmint barrel and am considering a Leupold 6-18 or possibly a Nikon. The gun is set up with Weaver style rail and is also drilled and tapped. Need advice on mounts. After looking at everything available, I am slightly overwhelmed by the all the choices. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different types? Personal recommendations?

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty hard to go wrong with rings/bases from any of the major manufacturers (Leupold, Talley, Burris,Badger, etc) and IMO most choices are made more on personal likes and dislikes based on the appearance than they are over any real practical advantage one may have over another.

All of them are sturdy and reliable and all of them will do what they are designed to do...hold your scope on the rifle and assure that it stays put during firing.

About the only thing I would avoid is any quick detach ring with those snag-on-everything little levers...and unless you want to mount a variety of different sized optics in different positions Picatinny rails will not be of much value even though they look really cool.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

i have a question :
Can we use elastic materials like lastic or foam between scope and rings?

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kourosh:
Hi,

i have a question :
Can we use elastic materials like lastic or foam between scope and rings?

thanks

I’ve heard of guys using a thin coat of rubber cement to prevent slipping.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get Burris Signature rings, it will save your scope and grip very well.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Leupold bases and rings for close to 40 years now and never had a scope slip,some of my friends used Burris bases and rings and has had no problems either.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote